Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much fabric do you buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-do-you-buy-t192553.html)

MadQuilter 06-23-2012 02:56 PM

If it could work as a backing, I get 5 or 6 yards (those are always bought on sale). Others, I often get 2-3 yards because that length allows me to cut border strips LOF (if I don't want to piece) and I often cut my binding strips that way too. (I don't do continuous binding any longer but use double-mitered instead).

mike'sgirl 06-23-2012 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by mtchick (Post 5310995)
Actually, I live in Georgia, but am a medical transcriptionist in my "real life" and that explains the MT.

I live in Florida and am an MT in training. Welcome. Gina

momto5 06-23-2012 05:42 PM

Depending on what I want it for, anywhere from 2-3 yards to the bolt...batiks are apt to be in the five or so yard range "just because..."

Grandma58 06-23-2012 05:50 PM

me too! !!!!

Originally Posted by wolph33 (Post 5310574)
way too much-if I like it.

Christine George 06-23-2012 08:32 PM

Since my quilts are never out of 4 or 5 specific fabrics. I use collections of reds or greens or whatever comes into my head. For that reason I've been buying fabric from Thousands of Bolts (thousandsofbolts.com). I like their site because I can buy end cuts, ie; 15" x WOF for $1.95. These are all first quality from leading manufacturers that you would recognize. I just bought $50 worth and got a lot of nice stuff. Check them out.

earthwalker 06-23-2012 09:05 PM

I always take advantage of sales, bargain bins and remnant bins. I buy bulk quantities of solids, neutrals, blenders and less of pattern/novelties. Amounts vary....I picked up 5 fat quarters for 5.00 the other day (that is very cheap here...The marked price per FQ was 4.95).

anita211 06-24-2012 03:28 AM

Welcome from Minnesota!

I buy a couple of yards if the fabric is screaming at me to buy it. It has to be screaming... anything less than that I tell myself that I have so much in a stash already that I don't need another bolt put on a shelf. (I get the bolt cores from my LQS.) That said, I still have fabric that screamed at me, that I have never used. I guess my "screamer" was off...

Buy what you can. A limited budget never stopped me from getting my fabric fix.

leighway 06-24-2012 03:40 AM

If you're anywhere near Cumming then Threadbare Fabrics has a sale room that will knock your socks off. I go in there and buy minimum 2-3 yds of everything I touch. If it's regular price, I buy no less than one yard. FQs are a really big waste of money unless they're on a spectacular sale.

DebbieG 06-24-2012 04:56 AM

[QUOTE=gollytwo;5310387]My go-to quilt when I need to make one in a hurry is "I Just Can't Cut It."
That pattern has now become a HUGE favorite of mine....it has another name in our family. It's called "the Gibbs Family Wedding Quilt" as that is the pattern we use to make all the niece/nephew's quilt for a wedding present. My sister in laws and I make the quilt using material from our stashes for the kids. It has become a BIG deal at the opening of wedding presents so that everyone can see what each other's looks like!!

damaquilts 06-24-2012 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5310372)
i buy 3 yards if it's calling my name.

I do too. I never buy less than a yard anymore, unless it is for a specific project. I have found if I have at least 3 I can use it for borders if I want. and not run out.