Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much fabric do you have in your stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-do-you-have-your-stash-t41934.html)

mpspeedy 04-07-2010 06:54 AM

Do we ever have enough fabric? I have lots that is organized by color or theme and then there is the newer stuff. Getting involved with the Linus Project has given me an excuse to buy a lot of kid related stuff and then there is the fabric for soldiers quilts and then the pillowcase project etc. etc. etc. I have two large tubs full of backing yardage as I am a handquilter for hire. My customer base seems to have dried up but I have the fabric if and when it comes back. I rarely save pieces smaller than fat quarters. I do have a box of left over binding. I always make to much.

BellaBoo 04-07-2010 07:00 AM

I got to the point I didn't know what I had my folded fabric was so jumbled up. I'm in the process of refolding all my fabric. I knew just refolding it wouldn't work for long term. I'd make another mess out of it when I pulled a piece from the bottom. I am using fabric boards and it makes a big difference! I can't decide if I want to shelf it by color or by value. I'm thinking value. I'll post a pic when I'm done.

Melinda in Tulsa 04-07-2010 07:15 AM

I have no idea how much fabric I have. I have alot of garment fabric, but just started collecting quilting fabric about 3 years ago. I used to buy 5 yards each of garment fabric and have been buying quilting fabric in one yard increments but have realized I need to up that to 2-3 yards at a time. I never buy with a project in mind, just what ever strikes my fancy. :roll: I guess that's okay tho since I like scrappy quilts.

yourstrulyquilts 04-07-2010 07:22 AM

If I took two 1.5 yd slices of fabric and put batting between them and quilted and put binding on, I would not run out of fabric before I die.
YTQ

jojo47 04-07-2010 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
Just enough to annoy my husband and make me happy!

Sounds like me!

sewcrafty 04-07-2010 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
Good question! I have no idea...a lot! I am trying to use it all up before my time on earth is through, but I keep buying more :lol: My hubby never complains about it and is always interested to see what I get in the mail! He cheers me on with my projects....I am one lucky lady. :wink:
I do save scraps, but I haven't taken the time to sort any of them. That can wait till I decide to do a scrap quilt!!

Ditter

Then I guess you're going to be around for a long time!!! :-D :-D

AtHomeSewing 04-07-2010 08:34 AM

I'm guesstimating close to 500 yards....
I keep two drawers, sorted by color, each drawer has apx. 120 yards. The fabric cabinet currently has about 200 yards. The cutting table has 12 drawers, many of which hold fabric for specific projects, so likely totals another 30 yards, and my other cabinet has boxes of "scraps" which total the remainder.

My DH still encourages me to buy more! I'm the one putting the brakes on!

AnnieF 04-07-2010 08:41 AM

Six years ago, I moved all of my sewing stuff into a spare bedroom and it became my quilt studio. It meant I had to move all of my stash from closets and under beds to one place. When I finished moving in, my husband looked at the 2 - 6'X4" bookshelves with my stash neatly pilled on the shelves and said: "wow, you must have at least $300-$400 worth of fabric in there!!" Oh if he only knew how to value fabric....I'd say the worth is more like $3000-$4000. I tried, successfully, not to laugh knowing in my heart that if the house burned down, that lowly closet full of fabric was the most valuable thing in the house we owned! I have, however, been scaling back my fabric shopping lately to use some of it up.

IrishNY 04-07-2010 09:12 AM

I don't know and would be afraid to count. I think it would scare me. :P

It's a lot but for some reason I never have just the right color for a project and need to buy more. I also travel a lot in my job so visit shops all over the place and always come back with more. I manage to keep myself out of the LQS most of the time these days, so if I could only stop checking out the ones where I travel, I might make a dent in the stash!

MadQuilter 04-07-2010 09:14 AM

I have 4 base cabinets, 4 upper wall cabinets, a double wardrobe, and a counter full. It's obscene. Most is sorted by color and in the clear storage boxes and I have a tall bin for scraps.