Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much time do you spend piecing a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-time-do-you-spend-piecing-quilt-t109848.html)

bamamama 03-22-2011 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I started piecing Bonnie Hunter's "Spiderweb" yesterday in an effort to use up scraps. Theres no thought, not alot of precision cutting just PP'ing strips and after 2 FULL days of working non stop I only have enough blocks for a lap quilt.

cjomomma 03-22-2011 04:06 PM

Some patterns take time even when they appear to be easy. It's gonna be beautiful when you get it done.

rusty quilter 03-22-2011 04:06 PM

I am not a fan of scrap quilts for just that reason. Seems like a lot of time is spent "getting it all together". Different than when I have specific fabrics and a pattern to cut.

CloverPatch 03-22-2011 04:08 PM

piecing is not my fav. Seems like it takes forever, but when it all comes together and you can finally sew the blocks. it is so worth it.

MTS 03-22-2011 04:11 PM

And how fabulous that you didn't use white for the stars. Is that black or dark brown? It's very striking, and the blocks look great - a nice change from the same old, same old.

You've got a nice pile of triangles piled up. What's wrong with a lap quilt? And really wide borders are a great look (and quickly enlarge the size of the quilt). :wink:

Jennifer22206 03-22-2011 04:11 PM

PP for me takes a long time. But sometimes it's just the best way to go.

Depends on the pattern you're making usually. For me, I can make 12/15 Churn Dash blocks in about 2 hours from cutting to sewing and final pressing.

Others, like Snails Trail take longer.

NanaInVirginia 03-22-2011 04:12 PM

I am doing what I thought would be a fairly fast quilt top, a t-shirt quilt. Boy was I wrong. I have several LONG days in it already, and had help that whole time from my quilting buddy. So, I can definitely relate to the whole "this is taking way longer than I thought it would" feeling. But, like CloverPatch says, it is so worth it when it is done.

kwendt 03-22-2011 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by bamamama
I started piecing Bonnie Hunter's "Spiderweb" yesterday in an effort to use up scraps. Theres no thought, not alot of precision cutting just PP'ing strips and after 2 FULL days of working non stop I only have enough blocks for a lap quilt.

That's a great pattern/stash buster. Yes, using the stash like that is a huge pain. I don't. I use Bonnie's OTHER idea and make my spiderweb's and other piece/stash intensive quilts by using them as leaders/enders or place holders while chain sewing a quilt kit or something.

Only problem is... I've been so successful and using the stash buster pieces as leaders/enders... that I now have two quilts all ready to have the blocks sew and sashed/bordered and finished. So that's two sets of queen sized quilt blocks all done at the same time! Yipes. But it went sew fast, I didn't even realize how much I got done, with less frustration!

Jill 03-22-2011 04:13 PM

For a new pattern, I make one block and from that I can figure out how to make the remaining blocks, hopefully the fastest way possible. Because scrappy quilts are my favorite I usually decide which colors I'll be using and how many strips/squares, etc. that I will need of each color. I then cut and start sewing. I find the piecing usually goes fairly quickly, it's the cutting and borders that can take lots of time for me.

bamamama 03-22-2011 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
And how fabulous that you didn't use white for the stars. Is that black or dark brown? It's very striking, and the blocks look great - a nice change from the same old, same old.

You've got a nice pile of triangles piled up. What's wrong with a lap quilt? And really wide borders are a great look (and quickly enlarge the size of the quilt). :wink:

Its Black and.....LOL..... I've got alot of scraps to use up, the pile seems to be growing instead of getting used up! I thought I'd make a queen but we'll see if I make it that far.