Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much would you charge to make this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-would-you-charge-make-t49021.html)

franie 06-09-2010 05:23 PM

Not sure this would help but a good friend of mine is charging about $1000 to make an all white quilt with every block different and with fabric manipulation. She does quilt as you go with fancy stitches too. She has been working on it for over 6 mo now but not steady. She makes it up as she goes.

brushandthimble 06-09-2010 05:26 PM

I too would rather have something finished and priced before being asked "Can I buy it when you finish it?" type question.

If you were providing the fabric $800 - $1200 would not be unreasonable.

OK taken in account your geographical location and the price point around there take the prices given here and adjust accordingly. Whatever I do not think you should give your time away and it looks like the bottom line might be around $500 - $600. (I would never do it for that, but then if it was a close friend I might consider it).

cindygale 06-09-2010 06:04 PM

i don't know how much to charge but is sure a pretty quilt.. :-D

quilter68 06-09-2010 06:58 PM

$750 sounds good. An idea would be to have her with you as you open the kit and review the pieces. Sometimes there is a problem with fabric shortage in kits.

quilter68 06-09-2010 07:06 PM

If she already bought the kit I think she is committed; however, pay could be 1/3 to start, 1/3 when half-completed and balance when she picks it up.
If she changes her mind at any point it is yours!

DebraK 06-09-2010 07:08 PM

hear, hear! Having seen your work numerous times.

oops, I was agreeing with mad quilter who said 'more than what the customer might be willing to pay'. I think your work is worth every penny you would consider asking and more.

wvdek 06-09-2010 07:16 PM

Neat pattern. I have no clue what you would charge, but a deposit (half down) and a contract sound good.

Fabricnut 06-09-2010 08:42 PM

My first impression and answer would have been An Arm and A Leg. It would be beautiful and I don't think I will ever be that level of a quilter.

applique 06-10-2010 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by quiltilicious

Originally Posted by ktbb
This is information I got a couple of years ago for pricing custom quilts. It might work for you.

Basic price for custom quilts is $15/square foot of finished quilt. This cost includes fabric, preparation, piecing, quilting and finishing. Price can vary depending on complexity of block pattern, preparation time, complexity of quilting, etc. Price can also vary (decrease) if customer provides own fabric.

wow... my guesstimate isn't far off... this quilt is 50 square feet (just calculated it from the 80x90 dimensions given) and that comes out to 750.

And that doesn't include "custom design" fees, either. Hmmm...

My custom quilts usually go for $25 per square foot. I have a LAQ doing the quilting which can be as much as $400.

blackbearbetty 06-10-2010 04:24 AM

If you go to www.amishcountrylanes.com you will see what the amish charge for their quilts