Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much yardage do you buy when..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-yardage-do-you-buy-when-t71799.html)

Chatfield 10-24-2010 05:54 AM

I used to buy one yard - that never seemed like enough so now I generally pick up 2 yards and if you think you would want it for the border too, better get 3 yards!!

Chatfield 10-24-2010 05:54 AM

I used to buy one yard - that never seemed like enough so now I generally pick up 2 yards and if you think you would want it for the border too, better get 3 yards!!

quiltbugs 10-24-2010 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Julie Baird
Anymore, I almost always buy quarters and fat quarters, and mostly of reproduction fabrics. What can I say? I love to make scrap quilts with lots of fabrics.

Why use one red when four will do?

Julie

Boy oh boy - - can I ever relate to this. I swear I have 100 yards of red (insert ANY color here) fabric. All in 1/4 & 1/2 yard pieces. And none of them match. :-D

nena 10-24-2010 06:40 AM

I used to buy 1 yard if I had no idea what I was going to use it for. Then I found out that I usually need at least another 1/2 yd. Does not matter what I was doing I always needed a little more. So now I never buy under 2 yards. If I grab it and guard it with my life until its cut. I usually buy 4 or 5 yds.

peppermint31 10-24-2010 06:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by quiltbugs

Originally Posted by Julie Baird
Anymore, I almost always buy quarters and fat quarters, and mostly of reproduction fabrics. What can I say? I love to make scrap quilts with lots of fabrics.

Why use one red when four will do?

Julie

Boy oh boy - - can I ever relate to this. I swear I have 100 yards of red (insert ANY color here) fabric. All in 1/4 & 1/2 yard pieces. And none of them match. :-D

when I was at the quilt show in Des Moines I bought 3.5 yards of this. I don't recall ever having a fabric take my breath away but this one did. The snowflakes are a silver sparkle that doesn't show in the picture

EagarBeez 10-24-2010 06:50 AM

I buy at least 3, probably more, since there is no place close to me, and I have to wait till we either visit family, or drive over an hour away. I do also buy online, so that is a big help as well

steelecg 10-24-2010 07:09 AM

I tend to buy fat quarters or 1/4 yards if I don''t know how I will use it, but I buy everything the pattern calls for if I want to do a certain project.

patdesign 10-24-2010 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by tucsonquilter
You just love the material but have no idea what you are going to make? I need suggestions. Do you buy a yard? 2 yards? Help!

And thank you in advance for your replys.

Anywhere from 2 up to 10 if I think I will use it as a back or for room decor.

BettyGee 10-24-2010 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Aully
I always buy minimum of 3, if I really love it I buy 5. :)

Me too, at least 3 yards and I just recently found a pattern I fell in love with, it was on sale and I bought 8 yards! When it was delivered I knew I had done the right thing as I can already see what I'm going to do with it. Companion fabrics usually 1 to 2 yards, but it depends how large the piece is going to be. My problem is that when I see a fabric I love it is hard to be logical. The ultimate determining factor is how much I have in my quilt budget and at the rate I've been going there isn't much left.

peppermint31 10-24-2010 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by BettyGee

Originally Posted by Aully
I always buy minimum of 3, if I really love it I buy 5. :)

Me too, at least 3 yards and I just recently found a pattern I fell in love with, it was on sale and I bought 8 yards! When it was delivered I knew I had done the right thing as I can already see what I'm going to do with it. Companion fabrics usually 1 to 2 yards, but it depends how large the piece is going to be. My problem is that when I see a fabric I love it is hard to be logical. The ultimate determining factor is how much I have in my quilt budget and at the rate I've been going there isn't much left.

that is exactly why I got 3.5 yards. There was 8 left on the bolt but it was$10 per yard & I just couldn't spend that much :cry: I did go for 3.5 instead of 3 but that was my absolute limit