Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much are you willing to pay for pre-owned, LQS quality, fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-you-willing-pay-pre-owned-lqs-quality-fabric-t288996.html)

NZquilter 06-17-2017 07:38 AM

Probably no more than $4 a yd. Its preowned, so it's instantly devalued.

liking quilting 06-18-2017 02:38 AM

Just attended a "sell off" of quilt shop inventory. Everything was marked 60% off. Sad to lose that shop, but I told her for those of us shopping, it was Christmas in June!

annette1952 06-18-2017 04:18 AM

Probably not more than $4.00 a yard.

momsbusy 06-18-2017 06:22 AM

I would pay up to $4.00 a yard if I really liked it.

MarionsQuilts 06-18-2017 07:24 AM

WOW really? I would likely pay full price, or close to. I mean, seriously, the only difference is is that it's not in the store. This person has already bought it, paid the taxes, (and in my province, that's 13% tax) maybe washed it / ironed it (i don't pre-wash my fabrics, so that wouldn't bother me at all) It's not like it's used fabric? I don't get it.

I can understand it if it's scraps, but full yardage??

wildyard 06-18-2017 08:53 AM

I am on a very limited budget so can't pay a lot for fabric. If I really loved it, I would pay $4 for a yard, but couldn't afford to buy more than that at that price most likely. Unless I really needed it for a specific quilt. I prefer to pay $3 or less in those situations.

MarionsQuilts 06-18-2017 09:13 AM

Living in Ottawa, ON, unless I buy from the states when it's really cheap, fabric here is expensive. Cotton is $10-14 a metre. Batiks are about $19-25 a metre.

So, if I paid that much money for my fabric, and I had two metres left, I wouldn't be very happy selling it for $3.

I don't have a massive stash, I only buy fabric when I am making quilts, and I always buy a bit extra. That's how I get my scraps.

I don't have an unlimited budget, but unless I am willing to wait for fabric to go on sale, then wait another 2-3 weeks for it to get delivered (I then have to go and pick it up), and I have to pay provincial tax on it, sometimes it's not worth it.

I do travel to the states at least once a year (for one of my vacations) and when I do that, then I pick up fabric for 4-5 quilts because I have about $1000 duty free. That's about the only time I spend a lot of money on fabric.

salederer 06-18-2017 10:20 AM

I am happy paying up to $5 per yard.

luvspaper 06-18-2017 01:31 PM

Probably only a couple of dollars a yard. But then again I rarely pay more than $5-6 a yard unless it is very very special.

Feathers-N-Fur 06-19-2017 02:30 PM

If it is great fabric I love $3, otherwise $2 is my max. The vast majority of my "stash" came from a specific thrift store that sells for $1 a yard. I have gotten vary nice LQS quality stuff there regularly. I really don't care if it is out of date. I don't know any quilters in person, so nobody but me knows that my stuff isn't current.