Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How much are you willing to pay for pre-owned, LQS quality, fabric?

Power Poster

How much are you willing to pay for pre-owned, LQS quality, fabric?

Just wondering - how much are you willing to pay for pre-owned, LQS quality, fabric?

I am talking about the "selllng off stash" type of sales -

How do you feel about buying fabrics that have already been washed? (If washed, I prefer some sort of indication - besides frayed ends - that they have been washed)
    Last edited by bearisgray; 06-16-2017 at 12:00 PM.

On EBay, I aim for $1.75/fq or less including shipping for cottons and $2 for batiks. I ask the brand name and only bid/buy on LQS quality. I've gotten quite a few FQ's this past year (building my stash). I try to pay less than$7/yard and frequently get it for less. I buy from stores that sell fabric and ladies destashing. I pay less for "luck of the draw" since I don't get a choice. Some sellers will pull a color range for you and some won't.

PS...I never "desperately need" full price fabric

I don't pay much. I have bought quilting fabric for $25.00 per large box at estate sales. Often they will mark the fabric as $5.00 for a large piece (multiple yards) and $2.00 (1 or 2 yards) for a small piece. They put scraps and small pieces in ziplocks and sell for $3.00 a bag. I'm in a large city, so I can buy last year's name brand fabric for $5.99 and $6.99 at the warehouse stores. They also do sales and % off coupons. I can also pick my own fabric from a large selection. Therefore, I would not buy "pre-owned" for more than $2.00 or $3.00 a yard.

bkay

1/3 of the retail. I rarely pay retail for new fabric and most quilters I know fill their stash with fabric when it's on sale.
    I love my life!

That would depend on if the person is a smoker. I cannot be around that. It makes my Eczema worse.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I don't expect to pay more than $4/yard at a de-stashing sale unless it is very special fabric. I don't care if it has been washed before, because I will be washing it again as soon as I get it home.

Interesting question! There's a lady right now on our local craigslist doing just that. She's asking $3/yd for prints, $4/yd for batiks. Her ad does not state that they are LQS fabrics, though. I have been watching the ad for about a week, and it doesn't look like she has any/many takers. Her asking price is a little rich for me, but if they are LQS fabrics, maybe I am being too critical, because just today I saw a fabric I liked in a quilt shop which was priced at $13.49/yd!! Holy cow!

Power Poster
    This question was triggered by this thread:

https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f...d-t288969.html

If it's something I love and would consider paying full price at a LQS, I'd probably go up to $5 a yard. Anything else, I'm looking for a screaming deal. It's got to be priced better than a sale price at a fabric store, because at the fabric store I can buy what I want, as much as I want, and know it's unwashed and brand new.

I think selling quilt fabric would be a painful experience if one were always thinking about how much one paid for the fabric in the first place...
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Probably no more than $4 a yd. Its preowned, so it's instantly devalued.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a Gift!

She who sews shall surely rip

Blog Entries
    Just attended a "sell off" of quilt shop inventory. Everything was marked 60% off. Sad to lose that shop, but I told her for those of us shopping, it was Christmas in June!
    Mavis

Probably not more than $4.00 a yard.

I would pay up to $4.00 a yard if I really liked it.

WOW really? I would likely pay full price, or close to. I mean, seriously, the only difference is is that it's not in the store. This person has already bought it, paid the taxes, (and in my province, that's 13% tax) maybe washed it / ironed it (i don't pre-wash my fabrics, so that wouldn't bother me at all) It's not like it's used fabric? I don't get it.

I can understand it if it's scraps, but full yardage??

I am on a very limited budget so can't pay a lot for fabric. If I really loved it, I would pay $4 for a yard, but couldn't afford to buy more than that at that price most likely. Unless I really needed it for a specific quilt. I prefer to pay $3 or less in those situations.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Living in Ottawa, ON, unless I buy from the states when it's really cheap, fabric here is expensive. Cotton is $10-14 a metre. Batiks are about $19-25 a metre.

So, if I paid that much money for my fabric, and I had two metres left, I wouldn't be very happy selling it for $3.

I don't have a massive stash, I only buy fabric when I am making quilts, and I always buy a bit extra. That's how I get my scraps.

I don't have an unlimited budget, but unless I am willing to wait for fabric to go on sale, then wait another 2-3 weeks for it to get delivered (I then have to go and pick it up), and I have to pay provincial tax on it, sometimes it's not worth it.

I do travel to the states at least once a year (for one of my vacations) and when I do that, then I pick up fabric for 4-5 quilts because I have about $1000 duty free. That's about the only time I spend a lot of money on fabric.

I am happy paying up to $5 per yard.

Probably only a couple of dollars a yard. But then again I rarely pay more than $5-6 a yard unless it is very very special.

If it is great fabric I love $3, otherwise $2 is my max. The vast majority of my "stash" came from a specific thrift store that sells for $1 a yard. I have gotten vary nice LQS quality stuff there regularly. I really don't care if it is out of date. I don't know any quilters in person, so nobody but me knows that my stuff isn't current.