Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Easiest way to make this border

Easiest way to make this border

I want to make a border like this for a quilt that is too small. I'm plan to use the scraps from the quilt for the pattern squares and white for the other. If doing the whole thing in squares would be easiest, I'm willing to go that way, too. (I'm going to make a small strip just to try it out before I make the whole border.)

bkay
    Attached Images Attached Images

IMHO the easiest way would be to sew white strips onto various strips of the scraps from the quilt (if strips are available). Then sew those strips together and cut them into 2" strips so that you can sew those segments end to end. The scraps should be pretty evenly distributed (you can turn a few strips going the opposite direction so you don't get obvious repeats). The flank with the white!

Strips of the scraps are not available. I only have 2 1/2" X 4 1/2" pieces of the scraps, but I have plenty of them.

bkay

Power Poster
    Doing the scraps cut at 2-1/2 with white 2-1/2 between them will look nice. I would then sew the white long strips on either side of the scrap strip just like in your drawing. Going to look great!

Power Poster
    I tend to do things "the hard way" - so

I would make each of the squares - alternate then with the white on a design wall - and then sew them together.

Sew as a strip set: solid, squares, solid, bu if possible I would vary the size of the squares [so some are rectangles] a bit so you won't have to be concerned if the borders meet exactly. That way you would like the aesthetics better.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    What are you planning to do in the corners? If you plan to do a big square in the corners, then sewing the three rows together and treating them as one border is a good idea. That's what I would do.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!