Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much is your time worth (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-your-time-worth-t171348.html)

RonieM 12-08-2011 08:29 AM

It it is family I charge what it costs me for supplies. If it is a close friend, I charge the cost of supplies plus $50. Anyone else is gonna pay more. Somewhere I read that we should be charging at least 3x what it cost for supplies. Not sure how accurate that is.

Candace 12-08-2011 12:24 PM

You should have went over pricing before making it. Now it's too late to pick a price...you'd better be prepared to get hardly anything out of it for your time.

susie-susie-susie 12-08-2011 01:51 PM

I would at least double the cost of materials. If you didn't discuss the cost before you started, you will probably not get paid a fair amount. Most people don't realize how much work and time goes into a quilt.
Sue

BellaBoo 12-08-2011 03:09 PM

The going rate for labor is minimum 3 1/2 times the cost of materials at retail prices. When you get an estimate for any work that is the usual formula. The contractor can then work with you knowing that the cost of materials may be bought at a discount or on hand. Lots of factors to reach a fair price for both parties. I would never agree to make a quilt for pay before setting the price first.

brushandthimble 12-08-2011 03:26 PM

One year I was asked to make a quilt for his wife, he brought shams to match colors, can you this would have been one of those that nothing would make him happy? I quoted a price I knew he would not go for, I did not want to make that quilt. Others I quote a fair price, take it or leave it. I am not doing it for near to nothing, I would rather give it away. (Which I did last month, my neighbor loved it)!

Cattyqwltr 12-08-2011 03:29 PM

The first tshirt quilt I did - I charged $10 per shirt because it is labor intensive and it came to around $350 - the one I'm currently finishing up is a lap size and will be $200 because it is abit of a rush job-she wants it for a Christmas present.

katydidkg 12-08-2011 03:37 PM

I like the $10 an hour, because the older I get, the slower I go sewing projects. And I sew and sell my goodies ! LOL

valleyquiltermo 12-08-2011 03:41 PM

I charge $15.00 an hour, I stay busy and I live in a sm town of 200 people.

mudose8 12-08-2011 03:53 PM

I made a quilt for a firefighter out of the embroidered appliques from the jackets and other small applique patches, plus a printed picture of the firefighter I transferred to fabric. It was for my DIL's sister. I charged her $250. Told her if she would have had someone else make it for her, she would have paid a minimum of $500. She paid, no questions asked!!

momto5 12-08-2011 04:55 PM

Most people do NOT want to pay anywhere NEAR the cost of the quilt you're making...I just quoted a guy who wanted a Double wedding ring extra large king (120X120) a price of $1200 and he ran to the nearest exit...sorry man, I'm not working for you like you were my Daddy...:)