Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much is your time worth (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-your-time-worth-t171348.html)

ralphu 12-08-2011 06:37 AM

How much is your time worth

I've made a t-shirt quilt for my Mom friend. I have 19 1/2 hour into making the quilt. How much should I charge for my time? She is paying for the fabric, batting, backing and quilting.

MissSandra 12-08-2011 06:39 AM

I charged 200 to a friend to make a queen size quilt, and i can't count the hours spent on it because it was a kaleidoscope 10 little peices of fabric to one block

traumaRN 12-08-2011 06:54 AM

I have a co-worker (aquaintence, not necessarily a friend) who has asked me to make a quilt of her father's old shirts. I was thinking in the $5-$7.50/hr range. Nobody will ever appreciate the time that goes into making a quilt.

gramarraine 12-08-2011 07:05 AM

I used to sew clothing for people. What to charge was always the part that worried me the most. If you charge what it is worth it is to costly for people. I think home sewing is worth at least $10 per hour but most people won't pay that much. You have to remember that it is not only your time but you are wareing out your equipment as well. My friend charges more than $10 per hour and she has all the home sewing she can handle.

mucky 12-08-2011 07:06 AM

I would just be sure to discuss price before doing any sewing for people.

margoee 12-08-2011 07:11 AM

Don't cheat yourselves, ladies!! We are performing a "service" that not everyone can do, we all put our best into our work, we truly are artists....we should charge accordingly. Now, if you are doing work for a relative/very close friend then a discount is a nice gesture. But, only charging $5 - $7.50??? That's not even min. wage!!!
I was asked to make 2 mini log cabin quilts.....23 x 23....pattern, fabric, batting, thread, my time.....$375.00......and she loved them!!!
People will never learn to appreciate the art of quilting if we are giving it away :)
Have a great day.....

patchsamkim 12-08-2011 07:17 AM

You should charge at least minimum wage...if and when I have sewed for someone, I ask $10.00/hr...if they don't want to pay that, fine, I have other things to be doing with my time. Some will pay it. I don't do it often though, would rather be doing other things with my time, as I still work full time. Maybe if I didn't also work, I wouldn't put such value on my time....but feel that if we don't care what we are worth, people won't value what we make as much.

wolph33 12-08-2011 07:32 AM

If it is for family I work for free.If it is not family I need to make enough for my time,electricity,supplies,etc.I price to come out ahead-If they do not like it that is fine.We are doing an art form that not every one can do.

jbj137 12-08-2011 07:57 AM

Mine is PRICELESS, but
I would charge at least $10. per hour.

J J

Tartan 12-08-2011 08:15 AM

If you didn't quote a price before hand it is going to be difficult to charge a fair price now. Total up what the cost of all the supplies and add a reasonable amount for your time. Reasonable for her not for you because it will be too costly probably to pay yourself what it is really worth. Few people really appreciate how long a quilt takes or the work that goes into one. The last time I made this mistake, I asked that they donate an amount to a charity in my name. They donated $50 which was okay with me (not nearly what it was worth) but the charlty appreciated the donation.