Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Often Do You Change Your Needle? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-often-do-you-change-your-needle-t221254.html)

SuzzyQ 05-12-2013 08:54 AM

Just got my Janome 4800 back from the shop - I bought it in 2007 & was supposed to take it in for a checkup (free) a year later ... no I didn't - It kept jamming as I was trying to hem a pair of jogging pants. Got a huge lecture when I dropped it off and again when I picked it up to change the needle a lot more often than I had been doing. Repairman pointed out an article about it, cashier pointed out the same article ... the funny thing is I could have sworn that was the second thing I did after I rethreaded the machine when it started giving me problems.
I was told the machine needles are now manufactured out of much softer metal that in the old days.
I'll be changing needles a lot more often from now on ... needles are cheap!

Knitette 05-12-2013 09:32 AM

I wouldn't drive my car with flat tyres or needing air. Nor would I drive it if the walls were damaged or showing signs of wear...

QuiltnLady1 05-12-2013 11:29 AM

I am like Bearisgray -- I change my needles when the machine does not sound right or when I am sewing on a different fabric. I use the titanium needles for piecing so they last a long time -- I have never counted the hours on a needle -- I have a hard enough time remembering what size/type needle is in the machine (but that's another thread).

Jim's Gem 05-12-2013 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 6058247)
I use Organ Titanium coated sewing machine needles and they last months longer then regular needles. I can tell when to change, my machine will make a different sewing sound. If you don't pay attention then the old needle sound will become normal sounding to you but it's not normal. I always match needle size to thread size.

Same here. Love these needles. Will replace when I hear a little popping sound or if I do something stupid like try to to a decorative stitch with my 1/4 foot on and it breaks!

DOTTYMO 05-12-2013 10:36 PM

I change needles when I change the top thread.

RGAY 05-13-2013 03:26 AM

From a hand appliqué'/quilter's perspective, I change needles when the thread starts fraying or breaking or shows signs of weakness, and also when it is so bent I can't maneuver it into the correct spot!

Aurora 05-13-2013 03:26 AM

I change my needle when the old one tells me it's time to retire it.

Amythyst02 05-13-2013 03:33 AM

with each new project.

Alice Woodhull 05-13-2013 03:34 AM

Whenever they break or skip stitches.

jitkaau 05-13-2013 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl (Post 6058208)
It's just something I think about. Also I don't pay attention to the type of needle! I do embroidery and quilting but never think about changing needles! How do you remember to change the needle?

It's already too late when you hear the needle making the popping sound. Needles cost more than a dollar each but the quality of one's work is woth it.