Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Often Do You Change Your Needle? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-often-do-you-change-your-needle-t221254.html)

osharono 05-13-2013 10:19 AM

I change my needle when it makes a 'thunk' noise, or when I am changing to a project that requires a differnt size or a thread that likes a certain needle. I just bought some "Inspira" brand that Viking recommends, and I won't do that again. They dull in about three or four bobbins worth of sewing, when I use the Schmetz will last for about a dozen bobbins. I don't like the singer brand needles any more, they used to be great, but now they seem a tad short and can cause missed stiches even in joining just two layers of cloth together. So yeah, about every dozen bobbins, or if my machine requests it, sooner. I have found that the 'organic' cottons (I had some from Birch and some from Jaycyn) that I just worked with dull the needles more quickly, too.

IBQUILTIN 05-13-2013 10:31 AM

I change with each project, place the old needle in a pill bottle (lable removed) and when it gets fairly full, I fill in all the space with plaster of paris and just toss in the trash

Karenowc 05-13-2013 11:00 AM

I usually change out for each project. On my quilting frame I change out every 5 hours of stitching.

AliceQ 05-13-2013 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by girliegirl (Post 6058310)
omg, i only change when i break one!

Yes I have to admit that's what I do too. I have a question for all you good people. What about sewing on Insulbrite? Does it dull your needle or actually sharpen it?

mengler 05-13-2013 11:26 AM

Jenny Doan (MSQCo.) said in one of here tuts that she doens't change her needle til it dies.

RebTrev 05-13-2013 11:42 AM

I change my needle frequently. I can see the difference a new needle makes in my sewing & piecing, so it's worth it! I use the type of needle that's appropriate for the job at hand. I buy my needles with coupons and when there is a "notions" sale. Like the Schmedt needles more than any other brands I've tried.

Cagey 05-13-2013 11:51 AM

My husband has a sewing repair business and he always reminds me to change the needle. He says most problems are from old or improper size needles and not cleaning often enough.

QultingaddictUK 05-13-2013 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by nvb50 (Post 6058523)
I use dedicated needles for each project, emroidery, quilting, regular sewing. The dealer says to only use each needle for no longer than 8 hours.

I agree with your dealer but how do you measure 8 hours?! One tip that I was given is 8 hours is equivalent to 3 bobbin rewinds but I don't about things like that, everytime I quilt a project my sewing machine gets a good delinting a touch of oil, polish AND a new needle, I use size 14 Topstitch needles which is fab for FMQ, solves the breaking of thread and so easy to thread it you don't have a good needle threader. I don't use many dedicated needles as I mainly stick to ordinary quilting but I do use a metallic needle when use metallic thread, and for my piecing on my Bernina I am using my ordinary Organ needles until they run out and then will go totally Topstitch.

icul8rg8r 05-13-2013 12:05 PM

I learned in my sewing/quilting classes to change my needle for each new project - and to use the correct size needle for the fabric/thread/project I'm working on. Other than that, my machine starts to make a little sound like it's working harder - so I put in a new needle and it purrs like a kitten!

lynnie 05-13-2013 12:50 PM

I don't know if i'm lazy or just plain cheap, I replace when they break. I never think of it till therews a problem. when emb. if I hear a loud poping sound, then i'll change it.