Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to sew two quilt blocks together (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-sew-two-quilt-blocks-together-t281810.html)

Bozatron 08-31-2016 04:47 AM

How to sew two quilt blocks together

Hi All,

I was hoping to find out how you all see your quilt blocks together. Do you always do a back stitch at the start and end of the line, or do you just sew it without doing anything at the start or end of the line?

Hope my question makes sense! I have been going to a quilting class where the lady told me to just sew from one side to the other without doing a back stitch. She even got me to start and end my sewing on a piece of scrap fabric to ensure that I sew all the fabric all the way down.

donnajean 08-31-2016 04:59 AM

You don't need to "lock" the start & stop stitches when joining blocks as the area will get secured when you sew all the blocks together. I try to sew from one block directly to the next to save thread and avoid thread jams. Then you just snip the threads between the blocks after sewing.

ArlaJo 08-31-2016 05:00 AM

Never back stitch, it's wat to hard to rip it out , wich happens all too often. That said, there are times I do backstitch, but not as a rule.

bearisgray 08-31-2016 05:11 AM

The way you were taught is a good way to sew pieces and blocks togdther.

I do not backstitch when making a quilt - I don ' t seem to be able to be sble to " back up on the same line " - and then that line gets puckerhy or waddy

when I sm making something that says "stop stitching 1/4 inch from the edge" when doing something like a y- seam, I stop and tie the threads instrsd of backstitching because I think my knot is less bulky than back- stitching st that point.

Tartan 08-31-2016 05:17 AM

I backstitch only on the quilt top block edges if it isn't going to have borders sewn on right away. That way I can put it away and not worry about the stitches at the edge coming undone.

cjsews 08-31-2016 05:17 AM

As the others have said I do not backstitch either. Unless it is the last seam on a row that will not be stitched across i.e. Last borders. But this is also why you stitch with a smaller length stitch than when garment sewing

bearisgray 08-31-2016 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7641235)
I backstitch only on the quilt top block edges if it isn't going to have borders sewn on right away. That way I can put it away and not worry about the stitches at the edge coming undone.

If the border were something like "piano keys" - I would sew about 1/8 inch all the way around the outside edge to keep the pieces from coming apart.

sewnclog 08-31-2016 06:18 AM

The only time I do back stitch is when I sew on the last two borders to keep them intact while handling them to pin onto the quilt frames.

sewbizgirl 08-31-2016 06:29 AM

No backstitching... if you use small enough stitches you won't need to do anything to 'lock' them.

ManiacQuilter2 08-31-2016 06:36 AM

I rarely back-stitch with a 2.5 stitch length setting on my Bernina.