Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How should I.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-should-i-t70275.html)

brendadawg 10-16-2010 02:08 AM

You can also put one of those little packets that comes in a shoebox with a new pair of shoes.

teacherbailey 10-16-2010 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I have had fabric in plastic totes for years and have had no problems with it.

Me too! Even have some in the garage. It ends up smelling musty after a few years but it's quite usable after washing.

Deborah12687 10-16-2010 03:31 AM

Why not toss silica jell packs in the bottom of the tote. They will keep the moister out of the totes.

Zephyr 10-16-2010 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by shequilts
My pal who owns a quilt shop had some old samples stored in plastic tubs. They molded! No idea where the moisture came from. She now stores everything in cotton pillow cases. She buys cheap, white, cotton ones from the dollar store.

That's a great idea. I had been buying pillowcases from those linen discount stores and they've gone out of business. Some times I have even given the quilt in a pillow case so it will get stored correctly.

patdesign 10-16-2010 06:28 AM

I have been storing in cedar chest for years till I ran out of space, no its plastic boxes with silica packets inside, never had mold, and I am in South Fla, HUMID! You could try wrapping individual pieces in white tissue such as comes with clothing, and storing on shelves. In order to identify, photocopy piece of fabric, on back side write the amount of fabric in cut, this way you don't have to unwrap to see or measure

featherweight 10-16-2010 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I have had fabric in plastic totes for years and have had no problems with it.

I also store in plastic tubs. Some have been there forever. No problems here.

quiltmom04 10-16-2010 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
I have fabric, that I had stored in plastic containers. Some I placed in small baggies, left open for air. I have been reading that this is not a good way to store fabric. I moved it to a some closed drawers.
Where I live, we get lots of dust. High desert. How do you all feel I would be better storing abric?

I store mine in the plastic tubs in the basement and never had a mold problem. But they are not really airtight. But I do leave a zip lock bag open a bit for air circulation, as I have found that the bags so seem to be airtight (I suppose for good food storage!) and they pack better if some of the air can get out.

mshawii 10-16-2010 09:17 AM

Have your hubby drill some holes in the top of the boxes and maybe a few in the top of the sides to let the boxes breath. and let moisture out.

MaryAnna 10-16-2010 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I know there are things you can buy to keep closets dry, and most pill bottles come with small bags of whatever it is that keeps them from moisture.

Seems that somewhere I saw some bags of a chemical that would keep tightly closed plastic containers dry and mold free. Can't remember where at this time. Brain fog....

Should anyone find this, please let us all know.

Do you mean Damp Rid? It works best, but you do have to empty the collection container from time to time.
KInd Regards,
MaryAnna

patdesign 10-16-2010 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnna

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I know there are things you can buy to keep closets dry, and most pill bottles come with small bags of whatever it is that keeps them from moisture.

Seems that somewhere I saw some bags of a chemical that would keep tightly closed plastic containers dry and mold free. Can't remember where at this time. Brain fog....

Should anyone find this, please let us all know.

Do you mean Damp Rid? It works best, but you do have to empty the collection container from time to time.
KInd Regards,
MaryAnna

DEFINITELY NOT DAMP RID! These are the little white packets about 1 inch by 1 1/2 inch that say silica gel and often come in shoe boxes, sometimes purses, they absorb moisture and keep stuff from molding!