Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How small does it have to be before you stop calling it a "Quilt"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-small-does-have-before-you-stop-calling-%22quilt%22-t161563.html)

writerwomen 10-20-2011 09:50 PM

A more accurate description is quilted. clothing, wall hangings, etc are quilted also when does one stop calling something enormously oversized a quilt.

MissJMac 10-21-2011 12:38 AM

Hmmmm...., interesting - ok, it sounds like size matters in your opinion. So in your opinion what is a quilt?:>)

OK, who let the Quilt Police in here?!?!?!?!?!?! :>)
Please to indulge while I attempt to remember 3rd grade English - it's been a while:>)
Quilt or Quilting is the method of stitching together 3 layers of fabric - A VERB
"a quilt" is the name given 3 layers of fabric stitched together and suitable for a myriad of uses - A NOUN
However, consider a skirt - it's 3 layers of fabric stitched together. That quilt is then cut up and re-sewn to make a skirt.
Are we to debate when it ceased being a quilt and became a skirt OR
are we going to wear it with pride and brag about our talented friend or relative who created it?
Love and respect to all quilters - no matter what THEY call their creations
YOU can call these wonders whatever you wish.

CMARAS1234 10-21-2011 10:24 AM

call me old fashion. if it goes on a bed, small doll bed also .its a quilt. if it is a wall hanging it is a quilted wall hanging not a QUILT. IM JUST SAYING.CMARAS

MadQuilter 10-21-2011 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Camping Angel
But I USE a quilted wall hanging in my living room to cover up a blemish in the wall. It is a useful quilt.

Good point. I'll have to remember that tip.

kheliwud 10-21-2011 10:40 AM

As long as it consists of a top, batting, and a back, it is a quilt. It can also be a wall quilt, wall hanging, table topper, table runner, table quilt, doll quilt, etc.

mmdquilts 10-21-2011 10:40 AM

I made a doll house quilt. each square was 1/4 inch finished and I hand quilted it for my mom's dollhouse! It was still a quilt and it was about 6X7 inches total.

gitlisgal 10-21-2011 02:39 PM

I would say it depends on just what the quilted object is? A coaster is a coaster whether it is quilted or not, but a quilt is one that is made as a quilt no matter what size it is. I have made a miniature quilt that was one inch square and I entered it in the miniature quilt category. And I did win a ribbon. What fun!

ube quilting 10-21-2011 02:41 PM

I make quilts that are sometimes only 1 1/2"square and I make pins and magnets with them. They sure are quilts! :thumbup:

gramquilter2 10-22-2011 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by QKO
Isn't anything that's sandwiched and quilted, by definition a quilt? :)

I agree with this but I guess everyone has their own opinion and that's OK too. :-)

Pieceful Quilter 10-22-2011 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I tend to think of a quilt (as opposed to a quilted whatever) as being big enough to wrap around or cover someone or something...ie baby quilt, lap quilt, bed quilt, dog quilt, doll quilt.

A quilted tote, quilted placemat, quilted coasters, quilted wallhanging, quilted toy, quilted tablerunner, quilted jacket, quilted hat, etc. are items that use the quilting technique in construction.

They are as much a part of the quilting family as a regular quilt, but they also may require some additional or different methods of completion.

If they are entered in a quilt show they are usually in separate categories from other quilts, which may also have several different categories.

I'm not saying I am correct here, but I would agree with this!