Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How wide of border for a queen size quilt should be...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-wide-border-queen-size-quilt-should-t65917.html)

lotus63000 09-20-2010 09:38 PM

Hello everyone....

I'm confusing about a border size for a queen size quilt....if my approximated quilt size is 83"x83" and adding 2.5" of small border, so how wide of a outer border should be......4", 5" or 6".....my quilt is sooooo huge now. it's almost a king size......please suggest....

thanks

wolfkitty 09-20-2010 09:41 PM

A picture would be helpful. Different widths for different blocks.

ghostrider 09-20-2010 09:51 PM

How much drop do you want on the sides of the quilt when it's on the bed? A queen mattress is 60"x80" so you already have a 14" drop on each side. Decide what you want for a finished size and add border width to get to that size. Borders are not mandatory, nor do they have to be the same width on all four sidess. The top and bottom borders can be wider than the sides and still look great.

amma 09-21-2010 12:01 PM

Not all quilt tops need a border(s), if you are happy with just adding one smaller border to keep the size smaller go with that :D:D:D

deema 09-21-2010 12:10 PM

It doesn't need to have an outer border at all if you don't want to do it!

Kas 09-21-2010 12:13 PM

I usually pin my quilt to the wall and the audition different widths of fabric to see which looks the most pleasing. Then you need to measure the actual size of your quilt to find out how long to cut the borders.

gollytwo 09-21-2010 01:37 PM

I seem to remember the total border should be 3/4ths of a block size.
Larger usually looks like you're just trying to make the quilt bigger.

lotus63000 09-22-2010 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by lotus63000
Hello everyone....

I'm confusing about a border size for a queen size quilt....if my approximated quilt size is 83"x83" and adding 2.5" of small border, so how wide of a outer border should be......4", 5" or 6".....my quilt is sooooo huge now. it's almost a king size......please suggest....

thanks

Thank you very much for all of your suggestions...I decided to add more 4- 1/2 inches on my quilt that I don't want..It made my quilt is already the king size. fortunately, my bed is queen size and having one box spring in the bottom and a mattress on the top that made my bed is high enough for my quilt....

I was soooo stupid cause I though that after I posted I would receive notification e-mail from the quilting board concerning to the respondent from you all .. I didn't go through the unread topic for checking...that was why I missed all of your suggestions. However, it was done and sent to quilt yesterday....

Thank you sooo much again...I will take all of your advice for my next quilt which I'm working......and now I know the border width doesn't have mandator. I can add any border size I want....

here is my finished top quilt which I confused about the border.....

Taking a picture at the quilting lady's house, yesterday
[ATTACH=CONFIG]94062[/ATTACH]

GrandmaJeanne 09-22-2010 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
I seem to remember the total border should be 3/4ths of a block size.
Larger usually looks like you're just trying to make the quilt bigger.

That's interesting---never heard that before. Will have to remember that. Always good information here.

nursie76 09-22-2010 06:48 PM

Beautiful Quilt! Very elegant looking. You did a great job.