Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: How wide of border for a queen size quilt should be......

  1. #1
    Junior Member lotus63000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    232
    Hello everyone....

    I'm confusing about a border size for a queen size quilt....if my approximated quilt size is 83"x83" and adding 2.5" of small border, so how wide of a outer border should be......4", 5" or 6".....my quilt is sooooo huge now. it's almost a king size......please suggest....

    thanks

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,226
    A picture would be helpful. Different widths for different blocks.

  3. #3
    Super Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,662
    How much drop do you want on the sides of the quilt when it's on the bed? A queen mattress is 60"x80" so you already have a 14" drop on each side. Decide what you want for a finished size and add border width to get to that size. Borders are not mandatory, nor do they have to be the same width on all four sidess. The top and bottom borders can be wider than the sides and still look great.

  4. #4
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Not all quilt tops need a border(s), if you are happy with just adding one smaller border to keep the size smaller go with that :D:D:D

  5. #5
    deema's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,317
    It doesn't need to have an outer border at all if you don't want to do it!

  6. #6
    Kas
    Kas is offline
    Super Member Kas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    2,044
    I usually pin my quilt to the wall and the audition different widths of fabric to see which looks the most pleasing. Then you need to measure the actual size of your quilt to find out how long to cut the borders.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Keene, New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,270
    I seem to remember the total border should be 3/4ths of a block size.
    Larger usually looks like you're just trying to make the quilt bigger.

  8. #8
    Junior Member lotus63000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by lotus63000
    Hello everyone....

    I'm confusing about a border size for a queen size quilt....if my approximated quilt size is 83"x83" and adding 2.5" of small border, so how wide of a outer border should be......4", 5" or 6".....my quilt is sooooo huge now. it's almost a king size......please suggest....

    thanks
    Thank you very much for all of your suggestions...I decided to add more 4- 1/2 inches on my quilt that I don't want..It made my quilt is already the king size. fortunately, my bed is queen size and having one box spring in the bottom and a mattress on the top that made my bed is high enough for my quilt....

    I was soooo stupid cause I though that after I posted I would receive notification e-mail from the quilting board concerning to the respondent from you all .. I didn't go through the unread topic for checking...that was why I missed all of your suggestions. However, it was done and sent to quilt yesterday....

    Thank you sooo much again...I will take all of your advice for my next quilt which I'm working......and now I know the border width doesn't have mandator. I can add any border size I want....

    here is my finished top quilt which I confused about the border.....

    Taking a picture at the quilting lady's house, yesterday
    Name:  Attachment-94057.jpe
Views: 1837
Size:  92.6 KB

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo
    I seem to remember the total border should be 3/4ths of a block size.
    Larger usually looks like you're just trying to make the quilt bigger.
    That's interesting---never heard that before. Will have to remember that. Always good information here.

  10. #10
    Super Member nursie76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Central PA
    Posts
    5,633
    Beautiful Quilt! Very elegant looking. You did a great job.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Keene, New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandmaJeanne
    Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo
    I seem to remember the total border should be 3/4ths of a block size.
    Larger usually looks like you're just trying to make the quilt bigger.
    That's interesting---never heard that before. Will have to remember that. Always good information here.
    I think it was a guest on the old Alex Anderson show about borders.

  12. #12
    Super Member sewingladydi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Woodhaven, Michigan
    Posts
    1,983
    I've read that borders should be some fraction of your block size. For example, a 6" block, you could use, 1", 2",3",maybe even 4". Or a combination like 1" & 3".
    I think in this example, the 4" might look too big, but I would "audition" it before I committed to a size.

  13. #13
    Junior Member lotus63000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandmaJeanne
    Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo
    I seem to remember the total border should be 3/4ths of a block size.
    Larger usually looks like you're just trying to make the quilt bigger.
    That's interesting---never heard that before. Will have to remember that. Always good information here.
    I think it was a guest on the old Alex Anderson show about borders.
    Thank you from your information I learnt more from you but I don't understand..what is 3/4ths ...pleas explain more for me....

  14. #14
    Super Member nursie76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Central PA
    Posts
    5,633
    3/4ths of the block size or .75 of it. If block is 8 inches, 3/4ths of the measurement of the block would be 6 inches.

  15. #15
    Junior Member lotus63000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    3/4ths of the block size or .75 of it. If block is 8 inches, 3/4ths of the measurement of the block would be 6 inches.
    Thank you soo much.....If my block size is 12 my border would be 9", wouldn't it........thanks again.

  16. #16
    Super Member nursie76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Central PA
    Posts
    5,633
    Quote Originally Posted by lotus63000
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    3/4ths of the block size or .75 of it. If block is 8 inches, 3/4ths of the measurement of the block would be 6 inches.
    Thank you soo much.....If my block size is 12 my border would be 9", wouldn't it........thanks again.
    Yes that is correct. :thumbup:

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Keene, New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    Quote Originally Posted by lotus63000
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    3/4ths of the block size or .75 of it. If block is 8 inches, 3/4ths of the measurement of the block would be 6 inches.
    Thank you soo much.....If my block size is 12 my border would be 9", wouldn't it........thanks again.
    Yes that is correct. :thumbup:
    But, probably too large a border unless it's pieced

  18. #18
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    I have 6 inch squares...trying to figure out what would look the best for borders. I think I would like to add three.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.