Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How wide should a ruffle be if the border on the quilt is 4 inches? >

How wide should a ruffle be if the border on the quilt is 4 inches?

How wide should a ruffle be if the border on the quilt is 4 inches?

Old 03-20-2016, 08:14 AM

Default How wide should a ruffle be if the border on the quilt is 4 inches?

I want to put a ruffle on the baby quilt I am making for my great grandaughter. I put a 4 inch border on the quilt. How wide should the ruffle be? Wider or narrower? Same width?

Thank you!
Old 03-20-2016, 09:01 AM

Or should I trim down the border?

Have any of you ever done a two sided ruffle? One fabric matches the quilt top the best and a coordinating fabric matches the backing the best. So I would like to do a two sided ruffle.

Would this be a mistake?
Old 03-20-2016, 09:27 AM

I have done it in the same color on both sides and different colors and they both came out pretty. I usually make my ruffle the same size or half the size of the border. I have made a small border and a larger ruffle once on a baby quilt I think the border was two inches and the ruffle was four. That turned out pretty also. It is up to you and what you like.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Just looking at the different comments. and can't wait to see it.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:28 AM

I usually make my ruffle for my quilts about 2-1/2" to 3" finished. I have never worried about the width compared to the border (maybe I should have?)

I have thought about a 2 color ruffle, but I have never done that. I would make try a small strip - about 12" or sew and see how it looks. I was worried how the seam where the 2 colors were joined would look and lay.

If you do a 2 color ruffle please show how it turned out I would love to see
Old 03-20-2016, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

I tend to go narrower on ruffles. with the amount of washing they receive, the narrower ruffles stay perkier (imho). I would probably go with a 1.5" finished. Two sided would be pretty. I cut my ruffle about 2X the length of the finished ruffle.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:15 PM

You guys are so sweet and helpful. Here is a picture of my quilt top and two fabrics I want to use as my ruffle.

The quilt back is Soft n Comfy from JoAnn Fabrics. I don't plan on cutting it any and am still trying to decide how to quilt it.

I'm still a beginner and have only done diagonal lines and wonky lines. I saw a really nice picture of a baby blanket that they machine tied because of the minkie fabric being difficult. I am thinking of doing that in the four corners of each square. That might also disguise my poor piecing. This is the worst quilt I've done. I followed directions on a blog rather than doing what I know I do best.

I will appreciate any advice you have for me!

Janan

[ATTACH=CONFIG]545457[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilt-josslyn.jpg  
Old 03-20-2016, 03:18 PM

BTW, these are the three puppies my grandaughter drew for me to applique on top of the quilt.[ATTACH=CONFIG]545469[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]545470[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]545471[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pup1.png   pup2.png   pup3.png  
Old 03-20-2016, 04:04 PM

those will be cute appliques! The quilt is very cute I love the colors. I have never tied quilt so I am no help there.

I have never used Sof n Comfy from Joann's, but I have used Minky backing. I never had trouble quilting with the Minky.

I have the most luck with quilting diagonal straight lines. I have an acrylic ruler that is 3-1/2" wide, so use that as my guide. I set the angle and mark with washable markers on both sides of the ruler. Then I move it down and mark the line next line and so on. then all of my lines are equally spaced (I still mess up sometimes, but with the ruler the mistakes a less noticeable)
Old 03-20-2016, 05:27 PM

I think the soft and comfy is the same thing as minky. At least it feels like it. I like your method of the diagonal lines and have the same ruler. Since I've been hesitant to use the tie method anyway, I will do that. Do you start marking from one corner to the other corner? I realize when I said I had done diagonal lines, I was wrong. They were up and down and across.