Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How wide do you cut your binding fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-wide-do-you-cut-your-binding-fabric-t273547.html)

Sandra-P 12-21-2015 08:42 AM

2 1/4 and I do the hand sewing it to the back as well.

QuiltnNan 12-21-2015 10:20 AM

i have always used 2 1/4". it has always kept the binding 'full'. i was told the judges like it that way.

Snooze2978 12-21-2015 10:42 AM

I used to make 2.5" but found it left some space so started cutting 2.25, still left a little space but I can live with it. I'm afraid to go with 2.0 as it may be too short then. I also fold mine over and stitch it on for everything I add a binding to.

sewingsuz 12-21-2015 11:04 AM

I use 2 1/2 for all mine. Table runners and wall hangings also.

Anne P 12-21-2015 11:37 AM

I, too, cut my binding at 2.25" almost exclusively. However, I'll be cutting and attaching binding on a large bed quilt for MIL and may go with 2.5" or 3" for it. It's a hexagon quilt made totally by hand by her grandmother in the 1930's. It was quilted by hand, but never got the binding made or attached. I want to try to find fabric that looks good with those in the quilt, but haven't found any yet. Today's colors are totally different I haven't really looked around yet much, though, so maybe after the holidays I'll do that.

QltrSue 12-21-2015 12:27 PM

I like to use 2 1/2 inch strips for binding because it is easier to see to cut, with these "getting older" eyes. And I use the edge of my regular presser foot, rather that the 1/4" foot to sew the strip to the front and then turn to the back. I have also been known to cut the batting and backing a hair wider than the front, to "fill" the binding a bit more. Then I turn binding to the back and hand sew. I prefer the look of a bit more generous binding. Just a personal preference.

osewme 12-21-2015 01:46 PM

I cut my binding 2 1/4" & machine sew it on the front & flip it to back & hand stitch it down. I like the look of the finished binding width.

ghostrider 12-21-2015 02:27 PM

Okay, I go with wide bindings (most often 3" cut, 5/8" finished) beacuse my quilts are generally bold designs and I just want wider bindings with them. Square up the quilt as usual before adding the binding, but leave an inch or so of batting/backing surrounding the top. It'll be trimmef down later.

You still sew the binding onto the quilt sandwich with a ¼"seam just like any other binding. You don't lose any points, you don't have empty bindings, there are no fancy measurements, judges are happy with the look, and it's easy as can be. The only difference is you do not trim the batting and backing even with the top. That's what fills the binding, not the top. Once the binding is sewn to the front, measure out from the seam line and trim the batting to the finished width of the binding (3½" cut will be a ¾" finished binding, a bit less with a thick batting). Perfectly stuffed binding every time because you're trimming to fit exactly what you just sewed. :)

Tiggersmom 12-21-2015 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7409639)
I was taught to use 2 1/2". But now I use 2 1/4" and get better results.

Me also most of the time. On wall hangings I do a single binding.

maryb119 12-21-2015 02:32 PM

I prefer 2 1/4 inch binding.