Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How would you quilt this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-would-you-quilt-t223669.html)

Quilter in MN 06-14-2013 07:32 AM

How would you quilt this?

1 Attachment(s)
This quilt is a christmas gift for my mom and I'd like to quilt it myself on my domestic machine. Besides stitch in the ditch along the main seams, I'd love some opinions and other options [ATTACH=CONFIG]418884[/ATTACH]

klgls 06-14-2013 07:48 AM

You could cross-hatch the center making sure your cross-hatches go through the center blocks. Then I would do some type of meandering or leaves in the borders.

It's a beautiful quilt!

DOTTYMO 06-14-2013 08:15 AM

The centre squares are wonderful. No idea about quilting but I would try if you don't want to and keep.
Your mum is one very lucky lady.

Holice 06-14-2013 08:27 AM

What are your free motion skills

sewelegant 06-14-2013 08:47 AM

I don't have a clue how it needs to be quilted, but that is one gorgeous quilt top!

crafty pat 06-14-2013 09:04 AM

I love that quilt. If I was doing it I think I would stitch in the ditch to give more dimension to the blocks.

alisonquilts 06-14-2013 09:21 AM

I am very very fond of SITD...however, for this quilt I think I would do concentric circles centered over the blocks with the motifs. It would look especially cool if you made some blocks come forward and others recede by having the "forward" ones have complete circles, and the "behind" ones have circles that look like they are going under the complete circles. I don't have a useful drawing program, so I can't draw it for you (though it is very easily drawn) but this is sort of what I mean, except that some of the circles would be complete, while others would be semicircles...rather than all being the same.

It is a beautiful quilt, and will be lovely whatever you choose to do!

Alison

SusanSusan33 06-14-2013 10:16 AM

OMGosh- what a gorgeous quilt top. I'm clueless on the quilting, though I like the idea of cross hatching that klgls suggested!!

Quilter in MN 06-14-2013 01:48 PM

Thanks for all your wonderful compliments! I am very proud of this one and love the way it turned out. My mom's favorite color is green and since it's from her oldest daughter I know she will love whatever I do to it!! Here's the problem......my FMQ skills are REALLY at the beginner stage. I have only been quilting for about 2 years and most of the quilts I have completed have been straight stitch in the ditch although I have been practicing my meadering and stippling skills on a number of baby quilts that I have donated. I am getting much better at stippling BUT have not attempted a quilt as large as this one. I dont know is cross hatching will work - not sure how you deal with the blocks that are not square? For example, if you look between the sets of six 1" blocks you will see two strips that are 3" x 1" I'm not sure how to cross hatch something like that? See, as I said, still a beginner at all this and I'm also throwing in machine embroidery just to challenge myself in my old age!!!!

Jan in VA 06-14-2013 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are few straight line designs I often use.
Your quilt is really nice!!
Jan in VA