Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How would you quilt this?

How would you quilt this?

This quilt is a christmas gift for my mom and I'd like to quilt it myself on my domestic machine. Besides stitch in the ditch along the main seams, I'd love some opinions and other options Name:  DSC_2657.JPG
Views: 2052
Size:  1.52 MB

You could cross-hatch the center making sure your cross-hatches go through the center blocks. Then I would do some type of meandering or leaves in the borders.

It's a beautiful quilt!

Blog Entries
    The centre squares are wonderful. No idea about quilting but I would try if you don't want to and keep.
    Your mum is one very lucky lady.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Banned
    What are your free motion skills

I don't have a clue how it needs to be quilted, but that is one gorgeous quilt top!

I love that quilt. If I was doing it I think I would stitch in the ditch to give more dimension to the blocks.

I am very very fond of SITD...however, for this quilt I think I would do concentric circles centered over the blocks with the motifs. It would look especially cool if you made some blocks come forward and others recede by having the "forward" ones have complete circles, and the "behind" ones have circles that look like they are going under the complete circles. I don't have a useful drawing program, so I can't draw it for you (though it is very easily drawn) but this is sort of what I mean, except that some of the circles would be complete, while others would be semicircles...rather than all being the same.

It is a beautiful quilt, and will be lovely whatever you choose to do!

Alison

OMGosh- what a gorgeous quilt top. I'm clueless on the quilting, though I like the idea of cross hatching that klgls suggested!!

Thanks for all your wonderful compliments! I am very proud of this one and love the way it turned out. My mom's favorite color is green and since it's from her oldest daughter I know she will love whatever I do to it!! Here's the problem......my FMQ skills are REALLY at the beginner stage. I have only been quilting for about 2 years and most of the quilts I have completed have been straight stitch in the ditch although I have been practicing my meadering and stippling skills on a number of baby quilts that I have donated. I am getting much better at stippling BUT have not attempted a quilt as large as this one. I dont know is cross hatching will work - not sure how you deal with the blocks that are not square? For example, if you look between the sets of six 1" blocks you will see two strips that are 3" x 1" I'm not sure how to cross hatch something like that? See, as I said, still a beginner at all this and I'm also throwing in machine embroidery just to challenge myself in my old age!!!!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Here are few straight line designs I often use.
    Your quilt is really nice!!
    Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I don't know, but I know it's beautiful!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Your mom is going to love this quilt. I think I would a small stipple in all the white areas and SID around everywhere else. Be sure to post a picture when you've completed this quilt.

Blog Entries
    Your quilt is quite lovely, I have found straight lines to be more difficult than circles and swirls. I liked the idea of circles. You can always practice on a piece of muslin sandwiched with batting to try out something new.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Debbie B,

I like the idea of just stippling the white area and in the ditch everything else. For my very limited FMQ skills I might be able to accomplish that!

Grace, for me circles are more challenging than stippling. Perhaps with more practice I will be able to be better at it. I still have 6 months to work on this.......I am way ahead of the game on this christmas gift!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Here are few straight line designs I often use.
    Your quilt is really nice!!
    Jan in VA
    Jan, you are always so helpful and your ideas are wonderful. Elaine
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Blog Entries
    You might draw a square or two - make a photo copy - then draw you quilting with a pencil to see what looks good - then practice with a quilt sandwich. Lots of research. That is one very pretty quilt.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

I always have a problem deciding how to quilt, so no help here....but the quilt is beautiful.

Great quilt.

Beautiful quilt top!! I see it with some beautiful feathers, soft curvie designs of some sort..practice on paper.. then on fabric sqs. (then ask an expert FMQer to have mercy) I think straight lines are the most challenging! Really is fun to draw on quilts with sewing machine.. Your quilt is beautiful!

Beautiful quilt and fabric choices! I am sure it will be lovely what ever you decide to quilt!

Unless you are a far better user of your domestic machine for quilting than am I, you should take this to a long armer. This is too beautiful a top to put at risk. Or bite the bullet and hand quilt. froggyintexs

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter in MN View Post
    This quilt is a christmas gift for my mom and I'd like to quilt it myself on my domestic machine. Besides stitch in the ditch along the main seams, I'd love some opinions and other options Name:  DSC_2657.JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter in MN View Post
    I also quilt on my domestic machine, and If I were going to quilt this using a straight line, I think I would quilt on each side of the center black square both vertically and horizontally, that would also make a cross hatch. Or I might use a curvy stitch vertically only along each side of the center black square or along the second light grey block vertically. That's a beautiful quilt and I know your Mom will love it. Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful quilt, I might go to a long armer who can really jaz it up with fancy quilting, or hand quilt.

Blog Entries
    I am a novice domestic machine quilter but one of the things I love to see (and I have seen many quilted this way on this site) is a flower-type motif with petals projecting out in the white section, which gives the illusion of curves in the squares. I hope that makes sense. Simple loop petals like petals from a mum. Please post your finished quilt. I believe that you can do this yourself and it will be beautiful. The quilt is already gorgeous so no matter what you decide it will always be beautiful. Yolanda Wood River

Another take on the straight lines, is using a little free motion wavy lines, done in the same manner. If you put a little curve in there it looks intentional, and still looks good. I think cross hatching in the white areas are beautiful. Old quilts often did it in pairs or even in 3's.
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast