Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How would you sew this, I'm winging it with no instructions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-would-you-sew-im-winging-no-instructions-t176445.html)

lovequilter 01-23-2012 07:05 AM

Sew many ways to put this beautiful quilt together, just choose the one most comfortable one to you.

luvnquilt 01-23-2012 07:16 AM

It's beautiful, I'm making one of those right now too. I started assembling in the middle and worked my way around. It's a lot of fun and my first experience with hst's.

jaciqltznok 01-23-2012 07:28 AM

I too do the quadrants...it really makes things line up better...and it looks like you finished something if you have to stop after only one qtr is done!:o

quiltlin 01-23-2012 07:49 AM

I usually sew all the pieces together in one row and then the next row and then attach the two rows and continue till I'm finished. Hopefully that way I don't get mixed up!!! and it usually works for me.

Ucoush 01-23-2012 09:55 AM

Wish I would have seen these responses sooner!

I finished the same pattern just before Christmas. I stripped pieced it and did have issues occassionally lining up seams. Now having read the different methods of piecing I want to start another one! The ideas make so much more sense to me. Thanks! Being an amateur is a pain but it sure is fun learning new mehtods.

carolynjo 01-23-2012 12:44 PM

All the suggestions will work: just choose the one you are most comfortable with and show us when it is finished.

fmhall2 01-23-2012 01:21 PM

My preference would be to sew row one in order from left to right, then row two the same, on down all the rows, then sew row one to row two, etc. on down. That's just my own way of doing it.

BarbaraSue 01-23-2012 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 4896712)
Divide it into quadrants. Then you take the first pair from the top left and sew them together. Without taking them off the machine take the next pair in the second row and sew them together. Keep doing that until you get the first pair sewn together for the top left quadrant. Then open the first pair and sew the third square in each row to the second square. Do that for each row and then open them and sew the fourth square to the third one in each row. Do that for each quadrant and then press the seams in each row in opposite directions and sew the rows together. By not cutting the chain between you'll keep all your pieces in the right orientation.

This was a class at the retreat I went to last fall. the instructions we were given was to make a quadrant at a time to help maintain the orientation of the blocks. I found that in sewing a fourth of the quilt together then sewing quadrants together really helped.
Love your colors.

wildyard 01-23-2012 02:46 PM

Yep, I'm with the 16 patch makers!!

sahm4605 01-23-2012 02:48 PM

I would build them into 4 patches then build them larger of 16 patches. It makes it easier to handle for me at least.