Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How would you sew this, I'm winging it with no instructions

How would you sew this, I'm winging it with no instructions

All the blocks are finished and I'm happy with it. Do I sew each row across then attach each row to each other. Or do i sew each column and sew the columns together? There are too many possibilities to list. How would you start sewing the blocks to each other.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sewing by columns or rows would be identical, since the design is symmetrical right, left, up, and down.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Sewing by columns or rows would be identical, since the design is symmetrical right, left, up, and down.
    Ha. I never noticed that!

I have a less than usual method developed. For me, I get better accuracy having only one full seam to sew across the quilt. Your piece is 8x8, or 64 pieces. I sew adjacent pieces together, so that would result in 32 1x2 pieces. Then, I would sew two of those units together, yielding 16 2x2 pieces. THen sew two together, so the pieces are now 2x4. Then sew two 2x4 pieces together for a total of four 4x4 pieces. Sew two together then sew your last seam. THis weighs less as I pass it through the machine so less drag until that last piece. If this is clear as mud, PM me for more help (or ignore this--whichever works) Have a good day.

Divide it into quadrants. Then you take the first pair from the top left and sew them together. Without taking them off the machine take the next pair in the second row and sew them together. Keep doing that until you get the first pair sewn together for the top left quadrant. Then open the first pair and sew the third square in each row to the second square. Do that for each row and then open them and sew the fourth square to the third one in each row. Do that for each quadrant and then press the seams in each row in opposite directions and sew the rows together. By not cutting the chain between you'll keep all your pieces in the right orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
    I have a less than usual method developed. For me, I get better accuracy having only one full seam to sew across the quilt. Your piece is 8x8, or 64 pieces. I sew adjacent pieces together, so that would result in 32 1x2 pieces. Then, I would sew two of those units together, yielding 16 2x2 pieces. THen sew two together, so the pieces are now 2x4. Then sew two 2x4 pieces together for a total of four 4x4 pieces. Sew two together then sew your last seam. THis weighs less as I pass it through the machine so less drag until that last piece. If this is clear as mud, PM me for more help (or ignore this--whichever works) Have a good day.
    I think I understand what you mean. Sew all the pieces in pairs. then sew those pairs to adjacent pairs. Then sew the 4 pieces to the next adjoined 4 pieces, and so on. Correct?

I'm with Scissor Queen. I do better seam matching doing quadrants than strips. Since it's symmetrical it should be a breeze.

Blog Entries
    personally i would start in the center and work my way out- meaning i would sew the center 4 together-forming the pinwheel- then frame it with the next round- sewing the 4 flying geese units, 2 with corner squares- attaching one on each side without the corners- then the 2 with the corners- then out to the next *round* until it was complete- doing it section by section. i've made this same square numerous times- and have always worked my way out- for me there is much more room for error trying to line up whole lines/rows when piecing the components brings it all together accurately.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I made mine in quarters, then sewed the quarters together. I sewed a row of four, laid it aside, sewed the next row of four and the sewed these two together. I checked their placement on the board as I picked up the next two rows. When a 4 by 4 unit was done, I left it and did the next quarter (quadrant). Then I sewed the quarters to halves and one last seam across the center.

However you sew it together, it is beautiful!!

Power Poster
    It is looking great! I like to sew in rows. I press all the seam allowances one way on the first row and go the opposite direction on the next row. My seams can then nest together and I pin at all intersections.

I would divide into 16 units, and sew all pairs together, then into a 4-patch, then into 4-patch again , then the one big 4-patch, pressing seams so they nest together. I usually have a plan, which way I need to press my seams so they nest together nicely, before I start sewing. I like to cut the threads when string piecing, and arrange them between each set of chain piecing, using a leader and ender between each line of chain piecing.
    Each day is a blessing, so do something you love each day.

I did mine in quadrants also.... But the 2x2 black plan may mke for better seam matching.
    Long arm quilting in Carmel, Indiana http://quiltcycle.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    http://quilterscache.com/C/CarpentersWheelBlock.html

This pattern shows sewn in rows.

I sew in rows. No particular reason outside of that's how I read. Row 1, then 2 etc.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

This is good. You now know, or have learned, how you best put things together. I'm a line sewer myself. Tried the quadrants, and I just couldn't make the concept work. Went back to the lines/rows, and I was back in my element, everything went together, matched, turned out square, lined up, all perfect. I ended up taking apart the section I did as a quadrant and putting it into lines, and that fixed the problem. I guess some of us work best in lines, some in quadrants, and I suppose some are revelling in this "quilt as you go" so they can do it a piece at a time. Whatever floats your boat!
    MacThayer

I do a good deal of winging it anymore. Sometimes, right or wrong, you have to follow what is up in your head. Most times it works out well. I always keep in mind that there is not a known Quilt Police force and I can do what I want. Your block is very nice, by the way. And I am sure it will look great when you are finished.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES View Post
    All the blocks are finished and I'm happy with it. Do I sew each row across then attach each row to each other. Or do i sew each column and sew the columns together? There are too many possibilities to list. How would you start sewing the blocks to each other.
    Check out this site. It also gives dimensions for larger sizes.

http://quiltfrog.com/fourhour.html
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Any way you sew it will be beautiful. Love the colors.

Blog Entries
    good morning. I like to stipple so I would probably stipple real small on the white. That really makes the dark pop out. cool effect try it on a sample piece. If you don't stipple, stitch in the ditch would be nice as well.
    Dawn
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

Sew many ways to put this beautiful quilt together, just choose the one most comfortable one to you.
    Linda
    Let every day be the best day of your life!

Blog Entries
    It's beautiful, I'm making one of those right now too. I started assembling in the middle and worked my way around. It's a lot of fun and my first experience with hst's.
    Jill

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I too do the quadrants...it really makes things line up better...and it looks like you finished something if you have to stop after only one qtr is done!

I usually sew all the pieces together in one row and then the next row and then attach the two rows and continue till I'm finished. Hopefully that way I don't get mixed up!!! and it usually works for me.

Wish I would have seen these responses sooner!

I finished the same pattern just before Christmas. I stripped pieced it and did have issues occassionally lining up seams. Now having read the different methods of piecing I want to start another one! The ideas make so much more sense to me. Thanks! Being an amateur is a pain but it sure is fun learning new mehtods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast