Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HQ16 owners--I need help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hq16-owners-i-need-help-t126267.html)

Dawn Hendrix 05-28-2011 09:54 AM

I had my bobbin in backwards...it fixed everything.when the bobbin is in your hand the thread should come off the bobbin clockwise.

Dawn Hendrix 05-28-2011 09:56 AM

When you let the bobbin hang down it should slowly come off the bobbin. Sorta tighter than a yoyo ...

luvstoquilt301 05-28-2011 11:18 AM

HQ videos---go the the home page---then go under Education----then Help me----there is a long list there.

I run my bobbin looser than they recommend. This allows the top tension to be a little looser and helps eliminate thread breaking as much.

misoop 05-28-2011 12:08 PM

Well, I've tried all the suggestions...did get my bobbin thread right....it now slightly pulls off the bobbin...guess it was too tight. I will sew about an inch just fine and then the inch long stitches happens...I've tried to sew and keep adjusting the top tension....keeps happening. I'm SOOO frustrated!! Have 2 Quilts of Valor I need to get done....do frustrated. I'll work an hour or so, and then walk off and leave it a while...go back...UGH!

luvstoquilt301 05-28-2011 12:34 PM

You will be able to get help Tuesday from HQ on the phone. But that is a long ways off. They can talk you through just about anything.

Did you buy yours from a dealer? I bought my used so use HQ as my go to people. Just leave it alone and find something else fun to do--some piecing project----something that is EASY and fun.

misoop 05-28-2011 12:49 PM

Yes, I bought mine used from a dealer in my city. He has not been much help....he did come out one time before my 90 day warranty (with him) was up. I guess I will try calling he HQ people Tues. Just need to forget about it a while, as you said. But, I just keep thinking surely there's something I can figure out. I've been a pretty good trouble shooter the last year, because I have some sort of tension issues with nearly every quilt. Not this time!! Thanks.

misoop 05-28-2011 12:56 PM

Yes, I did buy mine "used" from a dealer here in my city. He gave me a 90 warranty...came out 2 times before the warranty was up. Seemed to be fine when he left. But, I've always had tension problems with each quilt...have to work a while to get it just right. But, never like this. So, I guess I'll have to just call HQ in SLC next week. I just hate to give up....I'm a very patient person, and have always been able to troubleshoot and get it going. Not this time!! I have noticed from time and again, that when my bobbin gets low or runs out, I have problems. Get a bobbin filled and get back to it, and the tension adjustments start all over again. Crazy!!

misoop 05-28-2011 12:56 PM

Whoops...thought my first post didn't go through....sorry

Sadiemae 05-28-2011 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by misoop
Well, I've tried all the suggestions...did get my bobbin thread right....it now slightly pulls off the bobbin...guess it was too tight. I will sew about an inch just fine and then the inch long stitches happens...I've tried to sew and keep adjusting the top tension....keeps happening. I'm SOOO frustrated!! Have 2 Quilts of Valor I need to get done....do frustrated. I'll work an hour or so, and then walk off and leave it a while...go back...UGH!

How long have you had your machine? It may need to be cleaned and serviced by a dealer. I know that is no help, but it may need it. Sorry for all of your frustration. I will say that when you call Salt Lake they are wonderful to help as much as possible. I even had a question they couldn't answer quite awhile ago and an HQ instructor called within a half hour.

misoop 05-28-2011 02:59 PM

Glad to hear that they are very helpful. I got my machine a year ago, and it had been used very little by the previous owner. I got the impression that she had lots of trouble with tension, but the dealer assured me it was "just the user" not the machine. I had read that longarms are notorious for their "picky tension" , etc....so I didn't think too much about it. And, I've had pretty good success...the norm, I think....having to tweak here and there on every quilt....but not like today and yesterday!! I've probably quilted 10-12 quilts on it. What do ya think?