Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Husband punishment (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/husband-punishment-t201111.html)

Dee 09-22-2012 08:21 PM

My DH takes me Joanns or Michaels and buys things he thinks I would like. Besides me spending. Always over budget. My DH has very good taste. This afternoon serged some towels that were raveling. Then made dinner. I couldn't think of punishing him. After 48 years we know each other very well.

Pilgrim 09-22-2012 09:14 PM

My husband doesn't go shopping with me at all, unless it is Farm & Fleet or Menards. He has no idea what things cost and is amazed when he goes to buy things. He hates it when I buy him new underclothes. I found it is just easier to put his stuff in his drawers and throw away the old and not tell him. He has no idea what I spend on fabrics, notions etc. and it is better that way. He always says pay the bills and the rest you decide what to do with it. It's worked out well for us. If it were left up to him we would never buy anything new or change anything. The one rule he has in our house is, "don't move his recliner." It's ok it works for us.

reneaunoel 09-22-2012 09:17 PM

I got the magazine reference right off. If my DH had said that, we would have both been rolling on the floor, right there in the store. We both have a sense of humor and it always amazes me when we both catch something said on TV and turn to the other, saying the same thing! Given that he doesn't usually "shop" with me, but he does go to "guard" the car in the parking lot, he never complains about the time I spend browsing. And I agree with quite a few who posted here, every once in a while, he'll come up with a solution or suggestion that totally solves my "creative" block!

Oh, and just for the record, I'm the one who goes shopping for tools at the local DIY shops. He's lost with tools, but he makes sure the car and truck are in good repair. And he provides moral support when I tear into some house or yard project!

To be honest, I'll bet he's thought of asking me WHY I'm buying more idea books, when I already have a stack of them, but then he'll be the first to admit, he enjoys what I create. And he's got his order in for a lap quilt for himself!

ctipton 09-22-2012 10:11 PM

to funny ladies and gent

QUILTNMO 09-23-2012 01:46 AM

sorry that happened to you i dont have that problem my dh nevers says anything he is very supportive of my hobby!!!

quilt3311 09-23-2012 03:48 AM

I'm taking this "tongue in cheek" and think I hear a bit of sarcasm here. grin. It did remind me of a friend who has her studio in the basement. they had a heavy rain and had some water problem, so needed to move fabric etc to dry the area out. Well, her DH came down to "help" after carrying a few baskets of fabric to another area he looked at her very seriously and said "You must have a hundred dollars worth of fabric here"!!!!! She about choked as she said "Yes dear your probably right". There would have been several hundreds in each container. Ah the innocence of men. I take my DH along just to carry the bolts to the counter for cutting.
I figure most guys have a hobby, golf, hunting etc and their toys cost a lot more than ours.

romanojg 09-23-2012 03:59 AM

I used to tell my husband when he wanted to know how much something I bought was, either cheaper than his carton of cigs but it'll last longer and not cause me to die younger or I'd use beer or tools to compare it too. That would shut him up. He told me once when I went shopping not to spend too much money, I replied, you don't make that much. They always forget about the stuff they buy that they "have" to have but it's different when we want it. I pretty much got what I wanted and by the time he'd see it (I didn't hide it, he just didn't pay attention) I say I've had it for awhile, that was the truth. It was so nice; last week I went to a Floriani event and spent more money that I should have and as I stood in line I kept hearing all the women talk about what thier husbands would say. It was nice to know that even though I thought I spent more that I should I didn't have to worry about since I kicked his lying cheating self to the curb. That was nice.

germanquilter 09-23-2012 04:02 AM

My DH is a very patient and easy-going man; we have been married for 26 years and I love him dearly :) He has gone with me on roadtrips for fabric aquisition and even a quilt show or two. He will walk around and look at things and when he gets bored, he will find a comfy chair and take out his Blackberry. He has taking me to buy a new sewing machine when the Lancaster Quilt show (2 hours north from us) had a "great deal" and negotiated an even better deal with the dealer. He has helped pick out fabric for a project and given his opinion on borders or block placements. He loves the finished projects and has told me more than once how good he thinks I am at it. He has his own hobbies: golfing and boating and I try to support him in those as well. I keep him company on the golf course when he does not have someone to play with (I don't play but just ride in the cart) and I go out boating with him when he wants me to. We spent a lot of time apart in our lives because my DH is Active Duty Army and does a lot of military traveling/deployments so we try to make the time we can spent together count!

GammaLou 09-23-2012 04:05 AM

Love the story! After living with and training a spouse for 48 years, I know that the same methods don't work for all. We all just do what we need to. My husband prefers to stay in the car and watch the people go in and out. He is also happy to see my projects grow and give encouragement along the way.

Happy sewing!

sherryl1 09-23-2012 04:31 AM

Is it lonely up there?