Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am appaled!........or am I just cheap? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-appaled-am-i-just-cheap-t50146.html)

Nonna Judi 06-17-2010 07:10 PM

Hi everyone. I just had to get this off my chest! I know this has been discussed on the board before, but today was the first I saw it. I went to one of our local quilt shops today to treat myself and redeem a gift certificate my significant other gave me for Christmas. I WAS APPALED TO SEE THE PRICE OF FABRIC AT $10.59/YD.....Are you seeing this price increase in your area also? We live on a fixed income and I try to economize where I can, using my JoAnn coupons, buying online or buying in bulk at times. Am I just being cheap at being ruffled by these crazy prices or am I just out of touch with reality? Your thoughts?

bearisgray 06-17-2010 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nonna Judi
Hi everyone. I just had to get this off my chest! I know this has been discussed on the board before, but today was the first I saw it. I went to one of our local quilt shops today to treat myself and redeem a gift certificate my significant other gave me for Christmas. I WAS APPALED TO SEE THE PRICE OF FABRIC AT $10.59/YD.....Are you seeing this price increase in your area also? We live on a fixed income and I try to economize where I can, using my JoAnn coupons, buying online or buying in bulk at times. Am I just being cheap at being ruffled by these crazy prices or am I just out of touch with reality? Your thoughts?

I maybe would try to find another word for "cheap" - maybe "sticker-shocked"?
All the above ;) ;) ;)

Moonpi 06-17-2010 07:15 PM

Around here in FL, quilt shop prices are crazy. When I go to the shops, I limit myself to sale fabrics or just small amounts. Most of the time, my fabric comes from non-traditional sources - thrift stores, yard sales, and online.

Favorite Fabrics 06-17-2010 07:16 PM

Judi,

The prices are inching up everywhere. I would say that the wholesale prices have risen about 50 cents per yard in the last year, so that would likely translate to $1 / yard at the retail level.

If a retailer doubles the wholesale price, then I would think that the retail prices would wind up being generally from $8 to $9.70. But... if the retailer doubles her full cost (meaning the wholesale price of the fabric plus the 30 cents / yard or so that it costs her in shipping) then that would bring it close to the price that you've mentioned.

I'm not sure that all the price increases have happened yet, either. Very unfortunately! And once one manufacturer raise prices, they pretty much all follow suit.

You're not crazy. The "new reality" is just setting in for you, though.

texas granny 06-17-2010 07:17 PM

The prices have gotten to high. I hardly buy now like I did when I first starting quilting. When we only have a couple hundered lift until the next check comes.And I still need to buy gro.
I have several projects I can start and get done before I have to get any fabric. One of our quilt shops alway has a good sale I will wait for that to buy backs.

cjomomma 06-17-2010 07:23 PM

I think we all are feeling the pinch of rising prices.

thismomquilts 06-17-2010 07:37 PM

unfortunately ALL prices of EVERYTHING are getting higher. Not much any of us can do about it - I'm definitely not a 'green' person - but repurposing may become a habit...

sharon b 06-17-2010 07:38 PM

Not cheap... sadly just the way it is :roll:

kwiltkrazy 06-17-2010 07:45 PM

Yes, it seems like everything is going up like crazy. I know I.m really watching, and spending less, waiting for sales, and coupons.

littlehud 06-17-2010 07:59 PM

Everything just keeps going up. I have sticker shock when I go to the grocery store.