Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I am appaled!........or am I just cheap?

Blog Entries
    Hi everyone. I just had to get this off my chest! I know this has been discussed on the board before, but today was the first I saw it. I went to one of our local quilt shops today to treat myself and redeem a gift certificate my significant other gave me for Christmas. I WAS APPALED TO SEE THE PRICE OF FABRIC AT $10.59/YD.....Are you seeing this price increase in your area also? We live on a fixed income and I try to economize where I can, using my JoAnn coupons, buying online or buying in bulk at times. Am I just being cheap at being ruffled by these crazy prices or am I just out of touch with reality? Your thoughts?

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonna Judi
    Hi everyone. I just had to get this off my chest! I know this has been discussed on the board before, but today was the first I saw it. I went to one of our local quilt shops today to treat myself and redeem a gift certificate my significant other gave me for Christmas. I WAS APPALED TO SEE THE PRICE OF FABRIC AT $10.59/YD.....Are you seeing this price increase in your area also? We live on a fixed income and I try to economize where I can, using my JoAnn coupons, buying online or buying in bulk at times. Am I just being cheap at being ruffled by these crazy prices or am I just out of touch with reality? Your thoughts?
    I maybe would try to find another word for "cheap" - maybe "sticker-shocked"?
    All the above ;) ;) ;)

Around here in FL, quilt shop prices are crazy. When I go to the shops, I limit myself to sale fabrics or just small amounts. Most of the time, my fabric comes from non-traditional sources - thrift stores, yard sales, and online.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Judi,

The prices are inching up everywhere. I would say that the wholesale prices have risen about 50 cents per yard in the last year, so that would likely translate to $1 / yard at the retail level.

If a retailer doubles the wholesale price, then I would think that the retail prices would wind up being generally from $8 to $9.70. But... if the retailer doubles her full cost (meaning the wholesale price of the fabric plus the 30 cents / yard or so that it costs her in shipping) then that would bring it close to the price that you've mentioned.

I'm not sure that all the price increases have happened yet, either. Very unfortunately! And once one manufacturer raise prices, they pretty much all follow suit.

You're not crazy. The "new reality" is just setting in for you, though.

The prices have gotten to high. I hardly buy now like I did when I first starting quilting. When we only have a couple hundered lift until the next check comes.And I still need to buy gro.
    I have several projects I can start and get done before I have to get any fabric. One of our quilt shops alway has a good sale I will wait for that to buy backs.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I think we all are feeling the pinch of rising prices.

unfortunately ALL prices of EVERYTHING are getting higher. Not much any of us can do about it - I'm definitely not a 'green' person - but repurposing may become a habit...

Blog Entries
    Not cheap... sadly just the way it is :roll:

Blog Entries
    Yes, it seems like everything is going up like crazy. I know I.m really watching, and spending less, waiting for sales, and coupons.

Everything just keeps going up. I have sticker shock when I go to the grocery store.

I think that's high for basic calico stuff. I was shocked to see a tone on tone cream color going for $9/yd at Joann's.

But around here that price seems about right (actually cheaper) for a yard of designer stuff. I paid $12/yd for some new Heather Bailey stuff. I can't believe I paid that, but it was cheaper than ordering it online having it shipped.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    IMHO Joanne's is playing price games recently. Being "in the business" I recognize some of their fabrics, and know what the real wholesale price is (for little shops, and you know the chain stores get a better deal).

I've seen some that are priced at $9.99, and I know the cost is more like $3.50. So if they sell it at 30% off, which is a common "sale" on their calico wall, then they're really selling it for the typical double-the-cost retail price.

Wait for a sale, know your brands, be an educated shopper. Most of us are already doing this!

Blog Entries
    I spoke with one of my LQS owners and she said prices were raised right after quilt market. We can really see the effect in her store noting that there is less fabric and some empty shelves are filled with things like quilt puzzles and the like. This economy is hurting everyone. I find I don't get to the quilt shops like I used to. I shop my stash first and then try to get fillers and I search for deals on line which clearly hurts the LQS. But we do what we have to. I trade with friends as well. I don't thinks it's going to get better any time soon so I'm trying to adjust wherever I can. At least I'm still quilting.

the price of fabric in the US is about HALF the price of fabric in Australia......

even with the high conversion rate, it's cheaper for me to buy my stuff in the US and get it posted to me

One word "Coupons". Thank goodness for Joann's coupons. So far the price hike hasn't hit the Denver area. If I am going to have to spend that kind of money on fabric I may as well buy from the retailers on this site. I think the Admin may be working on a list so that we can support our board members. I already get most of my material at garage sales and thrift shops but I always need supporting fabric and backing and need to save money on those. We quilters will always find a way to quilt.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    This has been said before, as you say and prices are going up everywhere because that is what prices DO in general. FYI, fabric in the UK is in general around 15 dollars a yard at best and here in France it's nearer 25 dollars. I know that in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other European countries, not to forget South America where we also have members, prices are very high as well but you don't often see members from those countries complaining, unless in response to threads like this. Please spare a thought for us non-Americans. We can NEVER find fabric on sale for less than 5 dollars a yard and I see that often on US sites. And yes I can order online but then I have to pay shipping of around 12 dollars, don't get to feel or see before I buy etc etc. Sorry, here endeth the rant. :hunf:

Just think what you pay $10.m for we pay up from $21.99 per meter and if we buy from America with the money conversion - I think today it was $1.00 for every one of your .84 cents. You are still way in front. A parcel can cost $26. postage and handleing. I don't think our wages are much different either. Although I don't really know that side of it.

the only way i can afford to buy fabric now is [like evertone else] when it's on sale,& i hit the jackpot at joanns yesterday !their clearance aisle was marked down 50%, then THAT price was marked down ANOTHER 50% !!!!was also lucky enough to ask for, say 1/2yd,then gotthe rest on bolt for another 50% off !!!got 14 yds plus sewing machine coverw/50%coupon for$25 !!!!felt like i'd died & went to heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    This has been said before, as you say and prices are going up everywhere because that is what prices DO in general. FYI, fabric in the UK is in general around 15 dollars a yard at best and here in France it's nearer 25 dollars. I know that in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other European countries, not to forget South America where we also have members, prices are very high as well but you don't often see members from those countries complaining, unless in response to threads like this. Please spare a thought for us non-Americans. We can NEVER find fabric on sale for less than 5 dollars a yard and I see that often on US sites. And yes I can order online but then I have to pay shipping of around 12 dollars, don't get to feel or see before I buy etc etc. Sorry, here endeth the rant. :hunf:
    And it's not only fabrics in Europe, or I'm sure in other non-European countries - notions, wadding, threads, books, are normally around between 50-100% more than the US. Even our machines are much more expensive.

I am getting ready to go to Mary Jo's in Gastonia NC and load up on fabrics. Its on our way up North and my list is ready. Its a huge fabric store and her prices are very good. Denise

Blog Entries
    Two Christmases ago, I fell in love with a beautiful red fabric in my LQS. It did have a fair amount of gold on it, and I know that always brings the price up, but I was shocked when I looked at the price. It was the equivalent of $19.79 a yard!!!!!
    Needless to say, it stayed in the shop. It's the dearest I have seen, but this LQS is one I rarely go to, because of the prices.

Yep...Sewaholic is spot on...I paid $11.00 for two fat quarters the other day (from our LQS). I shop there at least once every couple of months, for small bits and notions mainly because she is such a sweet girl, but I can't afford the $20.00+ per metre when I need larger pieces. I wait for the larger stores Spotlight and Textile Traders to have sales, and I have a loyalty card with Spotlight which gives us 20% discount on presentation and Textile Traders (think it's only in Perth?) often do a two for the price of one deal.

I don't think you are cheap...it's just the way of the world!

I get sticker shock too. When I shop with a younger quilter, she's probably wondering why sometimes I gasp while we are browsing. But I have definitely noticed a change in grocery prices too.
    And, I do feel for our international friends.
    Quilting can be a very expensive hobby.

Fabric is going up almost everywhere. It's not the LQS, they're having to pay more for it. As GrammaNan says, "Quilters will always find a way to quilt" Women used to save Bull Durham bags and used them as the "white" in their quilts, cut the best parts out of worn out clothing, piece scraps together to make a big enough piece of fabric to put in a block, etc. Many of us still today scrounge through garage sales, thrift stores, auctions, and estate sales for our "goodie buys." I'm an avid garage sale person.

Blog Entries
    I've purchased the majority of fabric for one or two projects at a LQS in the past and had sticker shock when everything was added up at the register. I learned my lesson though.

Now I look for fabric at garage/rummage/thrift sales. At Joann's 50% off clearance I've found decent fabric that cost about $2.00 a yard.

It works for me.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast