Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I am appaled!........or am I just cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Two Christmases ago, I fell in love with a beautiful red fabric in my LQS. It did have a fair amount of gold on it, and I know that always brings the price up, but I was shocked when I looked at the price. It was the equivalent of $19.79 a yard!!!!!
    Needless to say, it stayed in the shop. It's the dearest I have seen, but this LQS is one I rarely go to, because of the prices.
    The nearest fabric shop, with a quilt fabric counter, about 1 hr from us - anything with gold or sparklies on from there is 26 Euros/metre - or $32/metre at today's rate. No wonder they cut at 20cms (under 8") minimum

The prices here are getting higher, also. There is the GSQA quilt show this weekend in Slidell, LA. There are going to be 11 vendors there. Two of which are the LQS that I regularly go to. I'm interested to see if the prices are the same or if they have raised them for the show.

I recently went to Joann's in Metairie (which is about 45 minutes awaay). I have heard a lot of quilters talk about it. I will never go back to that one again. One of my LQS calls it "The Dirty Joann's". It was horrible. There is another one that they recommended. I hope it is better, but now I have to get the courage to go.

To answer your question, you are not cheap. You are just trying to be thrifty, we all are.

I still shop my LQ shops in my area, but we in Maine are so lucky to have the surplus store that has everything from furniture to fabric. The fabric is quilt shop quality and name brands and is 2.99 (or lower)to 4.49 (for batiks) a yard. If you were looking for a particular fabric you probably would not find it, but at 2.99 yd you can find something else!!! It does not do on-line, but if you ever get to Maine, you should check it out! It is called "Mardens" and is in quite a few towns in Maine. Local qilt shops are pricing themselves into closing, but they are paying more too.

The ladies from Australia and France (not to mention the folks from Canada, etc) said it best ... we are lucky to be able to go down the street and have choices on high much we are willing to pay for our fabric.
    I have been known to scrimp on my grocery list in favor of fabric (don't tell DH - he hasn't notice the difference yet). And the lights haven't been turned off. And I shop serious sales. So I can afford to fall in love every once and a while at $10 plus a yard.
    I remember the days when I would pick a fabric and say - give me three yards. Months would go by and I would find the fabric and wonder why I picked it. I would end up burying it until I needed to donate some fabric at guild or give it away at the yearly swap. Those days are gone.
    I will buy only what I will use.

I only shop online. I don't feel like traveling 150-250 miles to get to a "LQS". I also only shop the sales and have yet to find any good ones here in Canada. I also have bought my new sewing machines online. I saved $1,000.00 on the last one I bought and that was after paying the duty and exchange. There are bargains out there you just have to search.

Quote Originally Posted by Katrine
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    This has been said before, as you say and prices are going up everywhere because that is what prices DO in general. FYI, fabric in the UK is in general around 15 dollars a yard at best and here in France it's nearer 25 dollars. I know that in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other European countries, not to forget South America where we also have members, prices are very high as well but you don't often see members from those countries complaining, unless in response to threads like this. Please spare a thought for us non-Americans. We can NEVER find fabric on sale for less than 5 dollars a yard and I see that often on US sites. And yes I can order online but then I have to pay shipping of around 12 dollars, don't get to feel or see before I buy etc etc. Sorry, here endeth the rant. :hunf:
    And it's not only fabrics in Europe, or I'm sure in other non-European countries - notions, wadding, threads, books, are normally around between 50-100% more than the US. Even our machines are much more expensive.
    Why is that? Is it because your taxes that are added to merchandise (of any kind, not just sewing stuff)? Or is it mostly because of the import price of the merchandise in the first place?

Blog Entries
    So living closer to the production area of batiks does not mean the price for batiks is lower in Australia?? You would save on shipping.

Price is up here too, I only go fabricshpping if I want a special treat now, otherwise I buyfrom garage sales or thrift stores!

Banned
    Thats why I shop at Marshall Dry Goods. :thumbup:

Sadly the prices are up up up!

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    I think the Admin may be working on a list so that we can support our board members.
    This would be great. I'd totally shop that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonna Judi
    Hi everyone. I just had to get this off my chest! I know this has been discussed on the board before, but today was the first I saw it. I went to one of our local quilt shops today to treat myself and redeem a gift certificate my significant other gave me for Christmas. I WAS APPALED TO SEE THE PRICE OF FABRIC AT $10.59/YD.....Are you seeing this price increase in your area also? We live on a fixed income and I try to economize where I can, using my JoAnn coupons, buying online or buying in bulk at times. Am I just being cheap at being ruffled by these crazy prices or am I just out of touch with reality? Your thoughts?
    Gas isn't .89 cents a gallon, milk isn't .99 cents a gallon, bread isn't 3 for a dollar, and postage stamps aren't a nickel anymore. Prices go up. The people that make and sell fabrics need to pay today's prices for everything too.

I completley understand before they "broke" the $10.00 per yard barrier, I would not think twice about getting a yard of this or that , now I am saying" I'll take 1/2 yard" when it is a piece that has no immediate project, with the idea that I must have some thing in my stash to work with it. I can not imagine , myself getting three yards on speculation of a project.
    The new prices have brought on a new guilt level of buying on speculation. I never thought it would happen , that my addiction could be tamed , but it has happened.

Yup, and it isn't just fabric. I'm afraid everyone will be cutting back and economizing as much as we can again. Quilting will become a necessity, not a luxury, and we will once again start using recycled fabrics instead of purchasing new for our quilts.

Between having my hours cut and prices rising, I will be making more quilts from my stash for a while.

I just finished looking at the "Fabric Frenzy" at the Ellenor Burns "Quilt in a day" website. Lot os fabric from name brand textiles on sale for mostly $3.75 a yard. Some collections on sale. Get your fav beverage and plan to stay a while.

Hugs, Gail

Your not cheap...prices are ridiculous! I was so frustrated on my last trip to a quilt shop that I decided to give up quilting! That lasted till I got home and saw my current project sitting there. I do hit the garage sales just hoping for a find.

Quote Originally Posted by gail-r
    I just finished looking at the "Fabric Frenzy" at the Ellenor Burns "Quilt in a day" website. Lot os fabric from name brand textiles on sale for mostly $3.75 a yard. Some collections on sale. Get your fav beverage and plan to stay a while.

Hugs, Gail
    Thanks for the tip. I am on her site right now.

I have to admit that I buy way too much fabric on speculation of a future project. As prices go up, I am thankful that I have a large enough stash that I will have many future projects to do. However, I have to agree with an earlier post about limiting what I give away because it is too expensive to buy more, so I am going to have to make do with what I have.

We are very blessed here in America with our prices (and spoiled :wink: )

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

Gas isn't .89 cents a gallon, milk isn't .99 cents a gallon, bread isn't 3 for a dollar, and postage stamps aren't a nickel anymore. Prices go up. The people that make and sell fabrics need to pay today's prices for everything too.
    And bear in mind... the LQS owner is probably also getting squeezed from the government in terms of taxes; rent and utilities are probably also increasing. If (s)he has valued employees, (s)he also will want to thank them by giving them a little bit of a raise each year... and it all has to come from somewhere.

I am pretty frugal, but unfortunately, the price isn't completely out of line - about a dollar more than I'm seeing on average here. It does make me choose carefully which fabrics are added to my stash - and I make a point of hitting my LQS's monthly end of bolt sale.

Cheers, K

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
    This has been said before, as you say and prices are going up everywhere because that is what prices DO in general. FYI, fabric in the UK is in general around 15 dollars a yard at best and here in France it's nearer 25 dollars. I know that in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other European countries, not to forget South America where we also have members, prices are very high as well but you don't often see members from those countries complaining, unless in response to threads like this. Please spare a thought for us non-Americans. We can NEVER find fabric on sale for less than 5 dollars a yard and I see that often on US sites. And yes I can order online but then I have to pay shipping of around 12 dollars, don't get to feel or see before I buy etc etc. Sorry, here endeth the rant. :hunf:
    And it's not only fabrics in Europe, or I'm sure in other non-European countries - notions, wadding, threads, books, are normally around between 50-100% more than the US. Even our machines are much more expensive.
    Why is that? Is it because your taxes that are added to merchandise (of any kind, not just sewing stuff)? Or is it mostly because of the import price of the merchandise in the first place?
    There's probably VAT, I'm not sure. Overheads and taxes, don't really know either I'm afraid. Not much use am I? :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
    There's probably VAT, I'm not sure. Overheads and taxes, don't really know either I'm afraid. Not much use am I? :lol:
    There are differing levels of TVA here - and some goods regarded as non-necessities carry the very high rates. I find it strange that even the British produced fabric is so much cheaper in the US than in Britain also. The prices for fabric here are pretty uniform and you never see any quilt fabric or other quilt supplies reduced so the quilt shops obviously have to buy at top whack anyway.
    I buy everything online from UK - but have to stick with the suppliers who will post to Europe, and at sensible cost.

I am fortunate to live in PA where there are lots of fabric stores so if you find a store that sells good stuff at a lower price, just go there. I usually get stuff on sale except when I just really, really have to have that fabric! As for Joanne's, you have to look hard to find the good fabrics as a lot of them are kind of flimsy. For some quilts I had to go online as no one carried the fabrics I was looking for. Padukas of Kentucky is a good store and they do have good sales and the price of shipping is not too bad if you consider the gas you would have used looking all over for that fabric which no one had anyway.

Blog Entries
    I started trimming from my budget last year when all the economic indicators showed higher prices were coming and coming fast. I stocked up all the non food basics we used while they were at the lower prices. Simple things like razors, soap, laundry detergent, paper products, shampoo, make up, deodorant, trash bags, ziplock bags, foil, cleaning products, etc. I bought cases of most items and put in the garage. I haven't had to cut my grocery budget now that the food prices are so high by not having to buy all the non food items. If prices stay high I'll start restocking at sales and clearances from the food budget. We can eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a few meals to pay for the cases to stock. The more I save on what I have to buy the more I have to spend on what I want to buy is my way of thinking. I hate spending good money on needed items like toilet paper! LOL

I buy my fabrics in discounted remnants at craft, fabric, and stores like Walmart. I make alot of strip quilts and eclectic quilts and interestingly enough they seem to be what my family prefers when given a choice for gifts. I buy fabric, table cloths, sheets, even interesting clothing at thrift stores and yard sales for quilts. I just made a quilt for my 11 year old daughter out of all the jeans she's outgrown and it's her favorite. I used the pockets and all the little embellishments that were on the jeans originally. This made it not just a quilt, but a memory. Isn't this what quilting really is? Isn't this how quilting came to be? Our grandmothers and their grandmothers had little scraps of fabric that they made into something beautiful--nothing was wasted. Quilting is the ultimate in repurposing, recycling, and being thrifty.

Quote Originally Posted by tracylester
    I buy my fabrics in discounted remnants at craft, fabric, and stores like Walmart. I make alot of strip quilts and eclectic quilts and interestingly enough they seem to be what my family prefers when given a choice for gifts. I buy fabric, table cloths, sheets, even interesting clothing at thrift stores and yard sales for quilts. I just made a quilt for my 11 year old daughter out of all the jeans she's outgrown and it's her favorite. I used the pockets and all the little embellishments that were on the jeans originally. This made it not just a quilt, but a memory. Isn't this what quilting really is? Isn't this how quilting came to be? Our grandmothers and their grandmothers had little scraps of fabric that they made into something beautiful--nothing was wasted. Quilting is the ultimate in repurposing, recycling, and being thrifty.
    That is so true. My sister and I each have a quilt that obviously was made out of our great grandmother's clothing. Both the quilts have the same fabrics and they are utilitarian quilts. When I was first learning how to quilt, I cut up some old cotton shirts of mine that I wore in junior high. Somehow they hadn't made it to the Goodwill bin, so they became blocks. I still have one of those original blocks I made when I was a teenager. (My mom only bought fabric at the store that she was making into clothes, so I didn't even think about buying yardage for quilting, I just used the scraps left over from her sewing projects to "play" with. I still have the scraps from the cotton dresses my mom made me when I was a preteen that I am saving to put into a memory quilt for her.)

I think I might make a wild and crazy quilt out of some of my dh's old western shirts from the 80s. Thank GOD those went out of style. He loved them so much they are still hanging in our closet. Maybe when he is deployed I can surprise him with a special quilt made out of all those crazy shirts. (Save me a bundle on fabric!!!)

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast