Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am astonished! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-astonished-t107137.html)

jodimarie 03-12-2011 01:58 PM

i too am a STRING BLOCK LOVER!!! instead of muslin, I use the ''why did I ever buy that fabric'' fabric for the foundation layer. The only thing is that you have to watch those very light fabrics letting the foundation fabric show through but if I'm a bit concerned, I just grab 2 light strings and layer them....no problem!! String blocks do have a way of multipuling overnight but the quilts are just so cool!!

jodi

lclang 03-12-2011 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
What width did you cut your strips???? You do know that scraps multiply when you're not looking don't you???? LOL!!

I have a lot of strips and strings. As long as they are reasonably straight, I use them as they are. They are different widths and they work fine. I am making the telephone book blocks. You cut pages out of a telephone book into 8 inch squares (or whatever you wish) and then piece your strips on the papers. I like to sew them together into a quilt top before I spray with water and remove the paper because some of the strips are on the bias but when they are sewn to another fabric they won't stretch. I also have some "glitzy" cottons and some with metallic trim and I use only one strip of that in a block because I don't have a lot of it. It really spices up the block.These blocks are addictive and I really enjoy them.

redturtle 03-12-2011 02:30 PM

im envious...i have just started quilting so dont have tons of scraps...better believe i am now going to save every scrap i come across now!!!

seems like a good thing for someone like me who cant get their seams to behave themselves and line up lol

but for now...i will dream

Heid 03-12-2011 02:55 PM

Your blocks are cool. Are you using any sort of pattern, or just randomly sewing strips onto a foundation that will then turn out however it wants to? When you put them together, will it look like a crazy quilt? Thanks for showing us!

IBQLTN 03-12-2011 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by jodimarie
i too am a STRING BLOCK LOVER!!! instead of muslin, I use the ''why did I ever buy that fabric'' fabric for the foundation layer. The only thing is that you have to watch those very light fabrics letting the foundation fabric show through but if I'm a bit concerned, I just grab 2 light strings and layer them....no problem!! String blocks do have a way of multipuling overnight but the quilts are just so cool!!

jodi

Could you use the wrong side of the 'why did I buy it' fabric instead of having to double layer the strip? Just a thought.

pennijanine 03-12-2011 03:56 PM

jodi

I am a believer that sheets are ok to use in quilts. I buy a white or cream sheet at the thrift store and cut them into seven (7) inch squares. Easy, peasy.

darlin121 03-12-2011 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by pennijanine

jodi

I am a believer that sheets are ok to use in quilts. I buy a white or cream sheet at the thrift store and cut them into seven (7) inch squares. Easy, peasy.

Sheets for foundation fabric, now thats a good idea!

SuziC 03-12-2011 04:52 PM

Can't wait to see the pics.....

lynnsim 03-12-2011 05:33 PM

Do a Google search for scrappy strip blocks. There are some great tutorials out there. That's how I learned to do my blocks.

cathyvv 03-12-2011 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
What width did you cut your strips???? You do know that scraps multiply when you're not looking don't you???? LOL!!

Absolutely true! Scraps are related to hangers, after all.

What I want to know is why I can never find the "perfect" scrap for what I want to do? I guess the "perfect" ones are shy.