Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I am astonished!

Blog Entries
    I decided to make a few string blocks just to see how they looked. Now I have 80 done and I like them all. The fabrics are all colors and patterns, but for some reason they look good all put together. I am surprised at how nice they look, I picked the scraps totally at random and sewed them onto a 7 inch muslin backing. So I will have 61/2 " finished blocks which I am putting together with 11/2 " black sashing. The bad part about this is that it doesn't even scratch the surface of my scrap box! Bet I could make 20 string quilts, better get busy!

Wow! You've been busy! Post pics when you have a top put together. Would love to see one! And good luck with the rest of that scrap box!!

I've been bitten by the same bug! I have 75 blocks done and can hardly miss the scraps I have used up. They are really pretty. I think our idea of putting them together with black sashing is right on!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter1
    I decided to make a few string blocks just to see how they looked. Now I have 80 done and I like them all. The fabrics are all colors and patterns, but for some reason they look good all put together. I am surprised at how nice they look, I picked the scraps totally at random and sewed them onto a 7 inch muslin backing. So I will have 61/2 " finished blocks which I am putting together with 11/2 " black sashing. The bad part about this is that it doesn't even scratch the surface of my scrap box! Bet I could make 20 string quilts, better get busy!
    Please give us a picture

what is a string block?? I have loads of scraps and love scrappy quilts.
    Kate

What width did you cut your strips???? You do know that scraps multiply when you're not looking don't you???? LOL!!

Blog Entries
    Here is a pic of some I made. I sent 56 to REDGARNET for kids quilts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love making string blocks! It's surprising how fabrics that don't normally play well together look great in string blocks! On another board they had an Ugly Fabric Swap that one person made into string blocks and it was really eyecatching!

Awesome! I wish I had your ambition!

oh wow!! I'm wanting to make one so badly..

i too am a STRING BLOCK LOVER!!! instead of muslin, I use the ''why did I ever buy that fabric'' fabric for the foundation layer. The only thing is that you have to watch those very light fabrics letting the foundation fabric show through but if I'm a bit concerned, I just grab 2 light strings and layer them....no problem!! String blocks do have a way of multipuling overnight but the quilts are just so cool!!

jodi

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK
    What width did you cut your strips???? You do know that scraps multiply when you're not looking don't you???? LOL!!
    I have a lot of strips and strings. As long as they are reasonably straight, I use them as they are. They are different widths and they work fine. I am making the telephone book blocks. You cut pages out of a telephone book into 8 inch squares (or whatever you wish) and then piece your strips on the papers. I like to sew them together into a quilt top before I spray with water and remove the paper because some of the strips are on the bias but when they are sewn to another fabric they won't stretch. I also have some "glitzy" cottons and some with metallic trim and I use only one strip of that in a block because I don't have a lot of it. It really spices up the block.These blocks are addictive and I really enjoy them.

im envious...i have just started quilting so dont have tons of scraps...better believe i am now going to save every scrap i come across now!!!

seems like a good thing for someone like me who cant get their seams to behave themselves and line up lol

but for now...i will dream

Your blocks are cool. Are you using any sort of pattern, or just randomly sewing strips onto a foundation that will then turn out however it wants to? When you put them together, will it look like a crazy quilt? Thanks for showing us!

Quote Originally Posted by jodimarie
    i too am a STRING BLOCK LOVER!!! instead of muslin, I use the ''why did I ever buy that fabric'' fabric for the foundation layer. The only thing is that you have to watch those very light fabrics letting the foundation fabric show through but if I'm a bit concerned, I just grab 2 light strings and layer them....no problem!! String blocks do have a way of multipuling overnight but the quilts are just so cool!!

jodi
    Could you use the wrong side of the 'why did I buy it' fabric instead of having to double layer the strip? Just a thought.

Blog Entries

jodi
    I am a believer that sheets are ok to use in quilts. I buy a white or cream sheet at the thrift store and cut them into seven (7) inch squares. Easy, peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by pennijanine

jodi
    I am a believer that sheets are ok to use in quilts. I buy a white or cream sheet at the thrift store and cut them into seven (7) inch squares. Easy, peasy.
    Sheets for foundation fabric, now thats a good idea!

Can't wait to see the pics.....

Do a Google search for scrappy strip blocks. There are some great tutorials out there. That's how I learned to do my blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK
    Absolutely true! Scraps are related to hangers, after all.

What I want to know is why I can never find the "perfect" scrap for what I want to do? I guess the "perfect" ones are shy.

I hope to see your quilts when you are finished. When I want to make a scrappy quilt, I put my cut fabrics in three different paper bags, and then just pull. I have so much fun that way because you never know what your going to get. It's addictive!

I have done them on paper backing. You can make any shape you desire as long as they all go together well. I have a collection of star points that will eventually get put together. Ann in TN

If they look good now, just think how smashing they will be with sashing in a quilt. Good work!

Blog Entries
    Looks great...

I love string quilts and use alot of my ugly fabrics as base. I do use the wrong side often. They are addicting.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast