Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I am astonished!

Blog Entries
    What are string blocks? I have not heard that term until recently.

OH NO.. another quilt to add to my to do list

Quote Originally Posted by quilter1
    I decided to make a few string blocks just to see how they looked. Now I have 80 done and I like them all. The fabrics are all colors and patterns, but for some reason they look good all put together. I am surprised at how nice they look, I picked the scraps totally at random and sewed them onto a 7 inch muslin backing. So I will have 61/2 " finished blocks which I am putting together with 11/2 " black sashing. The bad part about this is that it doesn't even scratch the surface of my scrap box! Bet I could make 20 string quilts, better get busy!
    Sounds cool I bet it is prety post a pic. we all want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by sandybuttons
    OH NO.. another quilt to add to my to do list
    Adding to my to do list as well....

Go to Bonnie Hunters site www.quiltville.com and she has many ways to use up your scraps. I have sucessfully made several quilts using her patterns and love all of them.

Blog Entries
    Penni love the end results, very nice.
    Ok silly question....I always looked at these sort of designs and thought to myself.."Oh patch work" what makes them "String Quilts" ?
    signed...still learning...through all of you, thank-you.

What is a string block? Where do you get it or how do you make it? I should have just kept reading. Now I know. You just keep sewing little strips of fabric to a base block until it's full and then you make another. Sounds easy & fast. Plus you have the added surprise of seeing how it turns out. Like tie dye shirts.

I too have been amazed at the color combinations and how they all work together. It is a good way for anyone that is fearful of using color to jump in. I like the quick results; the use of scraps, and hardly any way to really mess up, and relaxing. No brain work. Just FUN! :-)

I like the look of the string quilts but have not attempted the blocks yet. Sounds like it could be addicting.

Power Poster
    String quilts are fun to make but you said the scraps really don't go down, in fact I think they multiply when we aren't looking.

Blog Entries
    Can't wait to try one. I'm getting quite a few scraps and this would be a great way to use one. Such a fun idea! Each one will be different.

yours look great! makes me want to get on that project too...but a 100 other things stand in the way, and some are not quilting :(
    Is there a quilting sanctuary we can run away to, where the fairies go to your house while your out and clean and do up your bills and paperwork, etc?

I am sure it will be pretty. I know what you mean about all the
    scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by redturtle
    im envious...i have just started quilting so dont have tons of scraps...better believe i am now going to save every scrap i come across now!!!

seems like a good thing for someone like me who cant get their seams to behave themselves and line up lol

but for now...i will dream
    you can quickly have a stash if you cut 1 1/2" strip off every fabric you buy. and ask your friends to do the same & swap.
    no worries about seam allowance either.

I love string blocks. I have a project in progress for my grandson--paper pieced string stars (16" blocks) from blocks made over several years. I discovered the less the strings match, the better the overall look. It was difficult for me to let go of matching colors (some artistic talent), but when I did, the star parts (diamonds) looked so much better together.

Quote Originally Posted by pennijanine
    Quote Originally Posted by jodimarie
    i too am a STRING BLOCK LOVER!!! instead of muslin, I use the ''why did I ever buy that fabric'' fabric for the foundation layer. The only thing is that you have to watch those very light fabrics letting the foundation fabric show through but if I'm a bit concerned, I just grab 2 light strings and layer them....no problem!! String blocks do have a way of multipuling overnight but the quilts are just so cool!!

jodi
    I am a believer that sheets are ok to use in quilts. I buy a white or cream sheet at the thrift store and cut them into seven (7) inch squares. Easy, peasy.
    I use my old worn out sheets for foundation fabric--the thinner they've gotten, the better.

I have to try these! These are beautiful and look like a lot of fun to make.

Blog Entries
    Do you find a particular size foundation that works well for string quilts

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all these ideas for String Blocks!!! I want to make one too!!! lol

Have a friend that can't understand why I save scraps.....and hers too if I can fish 'em from her trash quick 'nuff!......and NOW I can show her "WHY"! Thank you!!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Calicobear2
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all these ideas for String Blocks!!! I want to make one too!!! lol

Have a friend that can't understand why I save scraps.....and hers too if I can fish 'em from her trash quick 'nuff!......and NOW I can show her "WHY"! Thank you!!! :)
    No don't show her.. she will want to keep her scraps after she sees how beautiful your quilt will be.

Quote Originally Posted by RV Quilter
    Can't wait to try one. I'm getting quite a few scraps and this would be a great way to use one. Such a fun idea! Each one will be different.
    I was thinking you could use your string blocks to practice your Free Motion Quilting (FMQ) and then assemble the blocks as you would for your quilt as you go blocks. With all those patterns of fabric going every which way who would notice some less than perfect FMQ?

I discovered that no matter how many scrappy quilts you make you never seem to run out of scraps. Gets to where you give up and accept that and just keep quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter1
    I decided to make a few string blocks just to see how they looked. Now I have 80 done and I like them all. The fabrics are all colors and patterns, but for some reason they look good all put together. I am surprised at how nice they look, I picked the scraps totally at random and sewed them onto a 7 inch muslin backing. So I will have 61/2 " finished blocks which I am putting together with 11/2 " black sashing. The bad part about this is that it doesn't even scratch the surface of my scrap box! Bet I could make 20 string quilts, better get busy!
    If you haven't seen some of the ideas for string blocks, my favorite is to cut them across from corner to corner (against the strings) and take four of these and join them for a larger block - you get so much movement. Try them on two of yours. See how gorgeous they are. Quiltville just finished a mystery quilt using this method - if you join there are tons of pictures to see - the quilt is called Roll, Roll, cotton boll. I, also use doodle pads to sew on. Tried phone book pages, but doodle pads snap right off.
    Very nice blocks!!

Sounds wonderful and cannot wait to see it completed. Good luck further

Blog Entries
    I made my 1st string quilt in October after seeing them on this site. I have now made 11 or 12. Instead of decreasing my scraps I now have a new black trash sack full of scraps that need to be blended back into my original scraps. What is going on!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast