Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: I am astonished!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Peg
    String quilts are fun to make but you said the scraps really don't go down, in fact I think they multiply when we aren't looking.
    Wow if they do... Then I need to put some blue and green scraps together! I need some teale and aqua!!
    Ya think that would work? LOL!!

Carol W - do you have any pictures you can share??

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Carol W

If you haven't seen some of the ideas for string blocks, my favorite is to cut them across from corner to corner (against the strings) and take four of these and join them for a larger block - you get so much movement. Try them on two of yours. See how gorgeous they are. Quiltville just finished a mystery quilt using this method - if you join there are tons of pictures to see - the quilt is called Roll, Roll, cotton boll. I, also use doodle pads to sew on. Tried phone book pages, but doodle pads snap right off.
    Very nice blocks!![/quote]

Thanks, now I know what to do with all those drawers full of scraps I couldn't bear to throw away or stuff into the cat's pillow. That is going to look awesome!

Oh I found the link:

http://quiltville.com/striptwist.shtml

Carol W ~ I would still like to see some of the ones you have made :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by kriscraft99

Kris

If you haven't seen some of the ideas for string blocks, my favorite is to cut them across from corner to corner (against the strings) and take four of these and join them for a larger block - you get so much movement. Try them on two of yours. See how gorgeous they are. Quiltville just finished a mystery quilt using this method - if you join there are tons of pictures to see - the quilt is called Roll, Roll, cotton boll. I, also use doodle pads to sew on. Tried phone book pages, but doodle pads snap right off.
    Very nice blocks!!
    [/quote]

Blog Entries
    Yes please post some pics when you have it together. I would love to see it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jodimarie
    i too am a STRING BLOCK LOVER!!! instead of muslin, I use the ''why did I ever buy that fabric'' fabric for the foundation layer. The only thing is that you have to watch those very light fabrics letting the foundation fabric show through but if I'm a bit concerned, I just grab 2 light strings and layer them....no problem!! String blocks do have a way of multipuling overnight but the quilts are just so cool!!

jodi
    Well................ now you know why your bought it!!!

Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana
    Like Quilterguy, I don't have many scraps, but what I do have, I couldn't bring myself to toss since I only buy fabric that I love. Sometimes, by the time I get some time to sew, I can't decide on what to do so end up straightening up by sewing area or just looking at my fabrics, but this is something I can do during those times and still feel like I accomplished something. I actually did a few of these blocks with my batik scraps, not knowing it was a string block. I think I used dryer sheets that had gone through the dryer, washed, and dried again. Thank you all for all the wonderful ideas and support. I'm always finding useful information here and it's like having hundreds of favorite teachers. You all are the BEST! Thank you so much for taking the time to share ideas, information, solutions, and support. Big HUGS!!!

scraps breed in dark places. :lol:
    I make lots of scrappy quilts and I don't see much reduction in the scrap bags either.

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Coy
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Quilter
    Can't wait to try one. I'm getting quite a few scraps and this would be a great way to use one. Such a fun idea! Each one will be different.
    I was thinking you could use your string blocks to practice your Free Motion Quilting (FMQ) and then assemble the blocks as you would for your quilt as you go blocks. With all those patterns of fabric going every which way who would notice some less than perfect FMQ?
    Great idea ... going to try it ... thanks for the inspiration :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by texpat45
    I love making string blocks! It's surprising how fabrics that don't normally play well together look great in string blocks! On another board they had an Ugly Fabric Swap that one person made into string blocks and it was really eyecatching!
    Another [email protected]! WTH!? When would I find time to do ANYTHING else if I had more than one digest to read?!!! :oops:

These look great. I'm going to have to put this in my "wish" list of things to make!

Blog Entries
    Some one explain to me what exactly is a string quilt and how is it made?

Ruby the Quilter

Quote Originally Posted by kriscraft99

Kris

Very nice blocks!!
    [/quote]

I was the one who said "Very nice blocks!!!" I wish that I did have some pictures to share. But I have only made one block. And that was a long time ago. My MIL makes these quilts all the time. She calls them crazy quilts. They are beautiful!!

Quote Originally Posted by laalaaquilter
    Quote Originally Posted by texpat45
    I love making string blocks! It's surprising how fabrics that don't normally play well together look great in string blocks! On another board they had an Ugly Fabric Swap that one person made into string blocks and it was really eyecatching!
    Another [email protected]! WTH!? When would I find time to do ANYTHING else if I had more than one digest to read?!!! :oops:
    Wow this is so true for me also.......do not need another one i love this one so much...

I love string quilts. And if you make several hundred blocks it will reduce your scraps to the point they can't multiply while you are not looking.

Just moved to a small town in SE Georgia so had to get rid of scraps, made them into string quilts, sold the tops on ebay. Still have several queen size quilts left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Peg
    String quilts are fun to make but you said the scraps really don't go down, in fact I think they multiply when we aren't looking.
    Trick is to keep the males and females in seperate piles! lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftiladi
    Penni love the end results, very nice.
    Ok silly question....I always looked at these sort of designs and thought to myself.."Oh patch work" what makes them "String Quilts" ?
    signed...still learning...through all of you, thank-you.
    Ok after seeing Bonni Hunts site I understand "string quilt"

Will have to give this a try. Added to list. LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter1
    I decided to make a few string blocks just to see how they looked. Now I have 80 done and I like them all. The fabrics are all colors and patterns, but for some reason they look good all put together. I am surprised at how nice they look, I picked the scraps totally at random and sewed them onto a 7 inch muslin backing. So I will have 61/2 " finished blocks which I am putting together with 11/2 " black sashing. The bad part about this is that it doesn't even scratch the surface of my scrap box! Bet I could make 20 string quilts, better get busy!
    Judi I keep coming back to your quilt pic...I love it! I just might have to try this w/ some of those " Oh What Was I Thinking ..when i bought this? "

Blog Entries
    That is a fantastic idea. How much did you sell the tops for? If you don't mind me asking.

Fun and a good adiction lol. Yours are very nice!

can't wait to see a picture of the finished quilt

I agree with you, I love to make string blocks and wonky crumb blocks. They are totally addicting and besides being a stashbuster they are stress busters too.

Love string quilts

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4