Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am going to ask for a deposit on ordered quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-going-ask-deposit-ordered-quilts-t73515.html)

jojosnana 11-01-2010 10:13 AM

I think that backing out on a custom quilt is very bad taste. I also think that you should always get a non-refundable deposit and get some type of contract. This indicates that both parties are serious about the purchase/sale. Sorry you got burned but perhaps someone out there wants it and will love it more.

Debra Mc 11-01-2010 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by PJO

Originally Posted by LaurieE
Another option would be to have a contract between you and the client. Basically the client would have to sign a piece of paper stating the price and whatever other conditions you have (i.e. a deposit or other payment arrangements, etc) before you begin the work. They would think twice before signing the contract because that's a legal document and you could then take them to court since they commissioned work from you. That would certainly stop the 'I can't afford this right now' hoping you would lower the price.

My husband and I had a contract with a couple who rented our restaurant. When they defaulted several months on rent and utilities an attorney told us that a contract is "only worth the paper it is written on." We ended up losing quite a bit of money. Another time we took a customer to small claims court. We paid the filing fee, and never got anything from the consumer.
I think you're very wise to ask for a deposit up front.

Very good point made but not everybody knows this. Still get a written agreement & deposit.

Qwiltylady 11-01-2010 12:03 PM

I've been making quilts for years and always get 50% down before I start. The 50% is a non-refundable deposit. The only quilt that didn't get paid for was a t-shirt quilt for a cancer survivor that passed away from an adverse reaction to a chemo treatment! I can understand the family's reluctance to pay for a quilt that will forever remind them of the wife and mother they lost! But the deposit covered all my material expenses so I'm only out the labor. I donated the quilt to a local breast cancer survivor hospice!

DebbyT 11-01-2010 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by LaurieE
Another option would be to have a contract between you and the client. Basically the client would have to sign a piece of paper stating the price and whatever other conditions you have (i.e. a deposit or other payment arrangements, etc) before you begin the work. They would think twice before signing the contract because that's a legal document and you could then take them to court since they commissioned work from you. That would certainly stop the 'I can't afford this right now' hoping you would lower the price.

My sister gets a contract and a down payment. The contract will state how many blocks and size.- Cost per type/size of block. (type-pieced, embroidery, photo, or plain) and completion date.

mpspeedy 11-01-2010 12:27 PM

The only quilt I have made to order and sold was a T shirt quilt. It was made from clothing of a guy who got a full scholarship to Harvard for wrestling. I didn't get a deposit because the folks were from my church and I knew the Harvard shirts etc. were very valueable to them. I ended up having to make two quilts as the collection was over 50 pieces and they wanted all of them included. I thought the lady would swallow her teeth when I gave her the bill but she paid. On the way out the door her husband asked if he could recommend me to others.
Before the longarmers put me out of business I did a good bit of handquilting for hire. I always got $50 up front and gave them a detailed account of the breakdown of prices for backing, batting and binding as well as marking if they wanted something special. I was able to get the balance due me everytime. I will admit that I was good at getting discounts or using coupons to purchase backings and batting. On the invoice I charged them the regular price. Hey I had to do the research and running to get the better prices. I also had overhead like thread, needles , thimbles, hoops or frames, lighting etc. etc. The price of doing business includes a lot of things.

jdavis 11-01-2010 12:33 PM

It takes all kinds, doesn't it?
Good for you, deciding to take deposits.

mel 11-01-2010 02:10 PM

i think you should ask for half the price you agree upon. You can say it is to cover supplies for the quilt. Dont worry Im sure the quilts are so beautiful that you will have no problem selling them!

sgardner 11-01-2010 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by PJO

My husband and I had a contract with a couple who rented our restaurant. When they defaulted several months on rent and utilities an attorney told us that a contract is "only worth the paper it is written on." We ended up losing quite a bit of money. Another time we took a customer to small claims court. We paid the filing fee, and never got anything from the consumer.
I think you're very wise to ask for a deposit up front.

Our local TV station had a segment about this- you can take them to small claims court and WIN, but the odd are in the long run that you still won't get your money. They said 90% of the award winners never get the money from those that owed it to them- the most you can do is ding their credit score for defaulting on a contract. Be careful out there, and I fully agree with adding in a clause specifying the time that you will hold the quilt until you have the right to resell it without a refund.

Tudey 11-01-2010 03:10 PM

I am just starting to have people ask me if they can order a quilt and I decided that I would quote a price prior to the work and ask for half up front and the other half just before I ship it to them. That way, my initial outlay for fabric and batting is taken care of. My brother's step mother-in-law wants me to make her a quilt and I told her this and wrote up a contract. She is having a little trouble coming up with the first money, but I told her I cannot begin any of it without the first deposit. But I am guessing now, after reading your post that my contract should state the initial deposit is nonrefundable.

quiltforfun 11-01-2010 03:46 PM

I think you should ask for a non-refundable deposit up front...
People just don't realize how much goes into making a quilt--I only use quilt store fabric so I am talking about $9.00-$11.00 a yard for the fabric. Then the time cutting, piecing, and quilting--I don't hand quilt much but if it is hand quilted the time involved can be astronomical...

Barbara