Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am intimidated.... not sure if I will follow through. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-intimidated-not-sure-if-i-will-follow-through-t54300.html)

charmpacksplus 07-14-2010 08:17 AM

For those who are having trouble with the bow tucks pattern....

1. If you can do without the outside pocket, skip step 1 and 7 completely. Or do it between steps 6 and 7. Step 1 has confused a lot of us. You can cut the front pocket pieces from scraps and see how it works before trying it with your "real" fabric. Once you figure it out, it's simple.

2. If step two is confusing because you are using a fabric that has to go a certain direction... don't make your first bow tucks using directional prints. Use polka dots or floral.

3. More about step 2 - instead of having a top and bottom piece, you can cut two big pieces from one fabric the same size as the lining pieces.

4. Step 3 - Quilt as desired - keep it simple - straight lines going across or up and down every couple inches is fine. You can also do criss-cross diagonally if you mark it with markers that can be removed.

lab fairy 07-14-2010 09:20 AM

I'm so sorry that you are reverse engineering. I've done it a lot on quilt blocks.

I find that when I'm really feeling insecure about sewing something I baste first to make sure I have the right idea. I can always sew over basting stitches.

sewmuchmore 07-14-2010 10:45 AM

I am at step 4. I had to get out my jack the ripper. lol I am happy with it now. :wink:

buttonhead 07-14-2010 11:04 AM

You all have mentioned the 'Bow Tuck Bag' a few times. Is there a pattern on-line with instructions? L enjoy making bags as they at least get finished. Need that warm fuzzy once in a while of finishing a project!

tryitall 07-14-2010 11:38 AM

If I have to cut out pattern pieces, then just hang it up! I have some type of mental block. Good luck!

sewmuchmore 07-14-2010 02:04 PM

I am moving along I am at step 7. Hoo woo I going to church now everyone have a bless day.

sewmuchmore 07-14-2010 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by buttonhead
You all have mentioned the 'Bow Tuck Bag' a few times. Is there a pattern on-line with instructions? L enjoy making bags as they at least get finished. Need that warm fuzzy once in a while of finishing a project!

No there isn't a pattern on line. :-( However you can order one on ebay for 9.00 free with shipping.

Mundy 07-14-2010 03:06 PM

ok ok just to let you know I purchased the patteren and it took me 2 weeks you have to read and read the thing is I over read well ok when I got my mind together it was done in no time and beatiful felt silly after that some times when it;s simple we make it harder guilty

kimpe 07-14-2010 03:34 PM

Darling looking bag. I would love to buy a used pattern if someone has one to sell. Kim

EdieClay 07-14-2010 04:05 PM

I've done the same thing. I read through all the instructions and think it is just too complicated for me. When I stop and read it one step at a time, I find I can do each step. So just slow down and start at Step 1, then get on here quickly if you have a problem and one of these terrific women ... and men ... will be able to help.