Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I am intimidated.... not sure if I will follow through.

Blog Entries
    I love the Bow tuck totes. But I will confess the bow tuck has intimidated I have cut out the pieces but that is as far as I have gotten. It took 2 weeks before I cut it out. I first made a pattern.I am a visional person, so I first made a pattern to cut my fabric with. I know that is silly but it made me feel as if I was following someone pattern. Now that I am over that obstacle I am facing sew it. I think I will take one step at a time.I am working up my nerve. If I watch someone or have pictures I can whip it right up. this is out of my comfort zone. Am I the only one who is like this?

Blog Entries
    YES!!! Clothing patterns do the same thing to me :roll:

I will probably make some of the bow tuck bags for xmas presents. Don't be intimidated, just read the directions & do one step at a time. I know there are others on the board who have already made the bag, so there is help if you have questions. I taught sewing for a while & what I always emphasized was the "take one step at a time".

Blog Entries
    Any patterns scare me :shock: I do better watching and just flying by the seat of my pants :wink: LOL

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about patterns. I used to say that I'd much rather do a quilt than anything "3D".

Eating my words now. I've had a backpack in progress for my daughter for a couple weeks now. Maybe she will have it for K in September!

Yes, blocking everything out and doing it one step at a time is helping - some.

The directions for the bags are not great! I thought some things were omitted that should have been there and if you didn't have experience with quilting or sewing, you might have gotten lost. As someone mentioned earlier, she doesn't tell you to handstitch the bottom of the bag closed after turning and I believe this should be done to have a nicely finished bag. You'll find lots of help here though so jump right in! JMHO

Here is a visual tute on it, don't be afraid of it they are so much fun to make!!

http://justenoughtime.wordpress.com/...6/01/ladybugs/

I just have to jump in here and say that I am positive you can do it. I am pretty new to the sewing scene and was able to make one. Check out this thread, where one of the members posted some photos of the "tricky" steps.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-44622-1.htm

And don't forget you can always come here and somebody can guide you through it. Good luck!

I feel the same way! Sometimes when I am trying to tackle something like this (yet too BTW), I will break it down into small (but doable) segments and take it one at a time. This is probably why I complain that I am such a slow quilter...:)

I was same way, I had pattern for two weeks before I started anything. Just go one step at time. first one took me quite a while, second not quite as bad. I followed each step one at time for both.

When you get to the second one they are a breeze! The first one I had some trouble with, but I didn't have that cool tute either! You can do it!!! And warning they are addictive!

I love these! They are so pretty, but Im not sure I could do it either, you go first!lol

I know exactly how you feel 'cuz I haven't had the nerve to even start my bag. I bought all the supplies a couple of months ago. I don't know why I'm afraid to start it. :oops:

Blog Entries
    Ok I am having a dud moment :( I am on step one.... it tell you to sew the front pockets together. With the rights side together? It does not say. :oops: Then to fold in half with rights together so Am I to sew with wrong sides together? Boy do I hate it when I do not have pictures to go by. :?

You are going to sew right sides together add the fusible web and turn it right side out. That was the hardest part!! Check out the tute I posted above for more help.

Take a deep breath and repeat after me, "It's not rocket science, I can do this." Then grab your big-girl britches, yank 'em on and go for it. What's the worst thing that could possible happen? Okay, you might have to unsew a bit--learning curve and all. Are you really going to let a pattern and a few pieces of fabric get the better of you?
    Nah, I have confidence in you, you can do it.

Blog Entries
    When it say to fold in half and press, Is this what they mean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just jump right in and give it a try. I was able to make mine with just a little ripping out, but I love it!

Just keep reminding yourself - what's the worse that can happen? You sew something wrong and need to cut out another piece or start over. Nothing fatal. But I bet you will surprise yourself and do great. Share your pictures!

Blog Entries
    Ok I have a other question? :( step 2 sew top to bottom I have people on my top and I would like for them to be upright. So am I sewing this at the bottom or the top?

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Any patterns scare me :shock: I do better watching and just flying by the seat of my pants :wink: LOL

This is funny....I call it "wingen it". Makes us good quilters, Wives, Mothers, Grandparents LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
    Ok I have a other question? :( step 2 sew top to bottom I have people on my top and I would like for them to be upright. So am I sewing this at the bottom or the top?
    Their feet will be sewed to the bottom part of your purse.

I have made several of the bow tucks. They're not as hard as they look. Just take it one step at a time and you'll be done in no time!

I feel better reading this. I don't have problems with regular sewing but many quilt blocks frustrate me.

This is like going into a lab for me:
    My advice is to read all the directions before you start.

Collect all needed materials (you won't believe what isn't listed on the materials list, like regular sewing needles if you need to hand sew something shut, etc. They just expect you to have that sort of thing. For me it is more, where did I put that stuff?)

Highlight the "do this" parts if you need to. Some people need to alternate colors. I make notes on the instructions to clarify. If I make the pattern more than once I am usually re-engineering the directions. Notes just help the process. Especially when I write things like "don't make stupid mistake again". My daughter loves to borrow my patterns to laugh at me, I swear.

Remember, the seam ripper is still your friend. You are allowed to baste something, decide whether you did it right then restitch. It isn't a crime. 6 stitches per inch is a lot easier to rip than 20.

I think I may need to see one of these Bow-tuck patterns everyone talks about. I'm not sure what it really is, but I promise you are "Smarter than a 5th Grader". You can do this. Will you post pictures when you finish?

I was lucky enough to have a friend who had made one and was kind enough to walk me through my first one. I have made at least 20 of them since. BUT, I made a mistake on the last one in that I didn't sew the pocket into the top. Oh my, how dumb. Even with experience, mistakes are still made!!! I hope you enjoy making them as much as I do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast