Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Am i the ONLY one intimidated by making a purse???

I see everyone post pictures on the picture treads of purses they made, I have never made one and i am soooooo intimidated by them. I would LOVE to do it, but seriously have no idea how.

Are their any tutorials on them anywhere?

I'm intimidated, too. Read through lots of tutes on the internet. I even bought a pattern, but lo... haven't lost the intimidation factor yet. I will, though, by the end of this year. I just will! :)

No need to be intimidated. You try...if you like it, you show it. If you don't like it, learn what you did wrong and try again...and you get a grocery bag. No one care what your grocery bags look like. Is not as hard as it looks. They usually go quick...unless you start with the Professional Tote like I did, which took me 4 nights and some headaches. Start with something simple and before you know you will be another bag lady.

I also have been too intimidated to do one yet, but I sure am inspired. Thismomquilts posted some very pretty ones called a Phoebe Bag and had a link for the free pattern. I am going to start with that one.

I'm too intimidated to start one. After seeing all the beautiful Bow Tuck bags members have posted here I bought the pattern and all the stuff to make it. So far I'm still not ready to do it. I think I need to read the directions a few more times.

I was really nervous the first time I did it but it was actually much simpler than I thought! I just did each thing step by step and used stickers to mark each piece so I didn't get confused. They are no harder than putting a quilt together!

Me. I'd love to make a purse, but just can't get over myself to do one!

I will vouch for Amy Butler patterns. I made her weekender bag as my first ever and it was extremely easy to follow (Though not such an easy pattern for a beginner, but I got it figured out). Her patterns are amazing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    I'm too intimidated to start one. After seeing all the beautiful Bow Tuck bags members have posted here I bought the pattern and all the stuff to make it. So far I'm still not ready to do it. I think I need to read the directions a few more times.

Hey, it's only fabric! If you mess up too badly, just start over! (ask me how I know

I was scared to make a purse until the bow tuck purse, And found it to be easier than I thought it would be. I just followed the directions and there it was done. Wish I could show you what I have made but don't have a camera for that.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I was and still am intimidated at making purses. I've made one from a pattern, a couple with no pattern. Want to do some more, but lacking the time at the moment.
    Just give it a try - learn and go. Everything takes practice, so don't feel bad if you make mistakes. You may come up with a better way of doing it!

I just signed up to take a class this sunday for the Tulip Purse, (2 hour bag)..I'm excited, I hope making this will open a door of creativity and i will try to make more.

Blog Entries
    I am so glad I am not alone! I got the pattern for the Bow Tucks Tote weeks ago and also beautiful blue and purple batiks, but have been too nervous to start it. My poor sewing machine which I goofed up trying to make a quillow is due back from the repairman tomorrow so I guess I have no more excuses. Guess I will prewash the batiks tonight and start the purse this weekend. Wish me luck!!

I bought the Bow Tucks pattern also. Read the directions 4 times and couldn't get how to do the pocket. UP North helped me with this part and also boxing the corners. Never did that before. I did have some mistakes but nothing anyone could see but me. If anyone needs help just ask. The posters on this board are more then willing to help anyone out! It really is easy to make. My Husband was really impressed. And thats not easy.

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LHUNT212
    I will vouch for Amy Butler patterns. I made her weekender bag as my first ever and it was extremely easy to follow (Though not such an easy pattern for a beginner, but I got it figured out). Her patterns are amazing.
    I made the Amy Bauer Sling Purse, super, super easy, made it for my DGD in college and made it out of shade of orange/yellow batik and lined it with pin dpt yellow/white. It came out so neat. I didn't get a picture of it before I sent it to her...now she has decided I can sew after I have sewed for weddings etc for years, she never wanted me to sew for her...now she wants a quilt....maybe she is getting smarter...I did raise her, so she was exposed to sewing all the time...

Don't be intimidated. Just take a step at a time. I have made 4 bags and absolutely love them. Jump in and just do it. You'll be glad you did

I was at first and I ripped alot the first time. here is a sort of tute on the Bow tucks bag.

http://justenoughtime.wordpress.com/...6/01/ladybugs/

You are right. You have to read the directions about 4 times to understand the Bow Tuck instructions. But once you understand them you will be alright.

If you haven't ever sewn a garment I can understand being intimidated. I sewed all my kids clothes 45 yrs ago, but hadn't done much but quilt in 20 years. So I was somewhat intimidated too! I decided to get over the intimidation (but not the nerves) and made a messenger bag, a batik clutch, and a winter bag in 2009, and a tulip spring one in March! Of course they are all simple ones, no zippers or anything too complicated. Just take a deep breath and go for it. If you start with a cloth grocery bag you will learn the basics quickly! Good luck!

I'm ordering a bow tucks pattern from Connecting Threads. Wish me luck.

I found "lazy girl" pattern to be very simple. You might want to start with one of those?

Blog Entries
    Same here.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    I finally got one made - the best advice I can give is to read all the directions before you start and then do one step at a time - don't try to get ahead of yourself - you might want to make sure you have some extra fabric for the time you make a wrong cut! Once you've made one the rest come easier.

I was a purse/bag lady before I made my first quilt. I was afraid to try quilting because I thought it would be waaay to difficult for me. I've since made at least 4 quilts, plus tote bags, purses, etc. Just follow the instructions, read through the pattern first and then read through it again. Follow the instructions and you will have no problems. Just go for it - you'll have fun and learn something new.

Just pick a pattern(not to hard) and jump right in. Just remember to take 1 step at a time. Sometimes reading a pattern is hard for people so I always tell them 1 step at a time. No need to race and come in first.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast