Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am i the ONLY one intimidated by making a  purse??? >

Am i the ONLY one intimidated by making a purse???

Am i the ONLY one intimidated by making a purse???

Old 05-19-2010, 03:03 AM

I found "lazy girl" pattern to be very simple. You might want to start with one of those?
Old 05-19-2010, 03:06 AM

Same here.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:10 AM

I finally got one made - the best advice I can give is to read all the directions before you start and then do one step at a time - don't try to get ahead of yourself - you might want to make sure you have some extra fabric for the time you make a wrong cut! Once you've made one the rest come easier.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:19 AM

I was a purse/bag lady before I made my first quilt. I was afraid to try quilting because I thought it would be waaay to difficult for me. I've since made at least 4 quilts, plus tote bags, purses, etc. Just follow the instructions, read through the pattern first and then read through it again. Follow the instructions and you will have no problems. Just go for it - you'll have fun and learn something new.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:23 AM

Just pick a pattern(not to hard) and jump right in. Just remember to take 1 step at a time. Sometimes reading a pattern is hard for people so I always tell them 1 step at a time. No need to race and come in first.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:27 AM

I've been making purses for years and enjoy the challenge. Someone suggested I get into quilting - but I thought there was no way I could make a quilt as they are such difficult things! Now I'm making purses, quilts and tote bags. Go for it. It might be a challenge, but it is always fun to try. My first quilt was a log cabin block small purse. I enjoyed that so much, that I went on to a wall hanging and then a king size yellow brick road. Now I'm hooked.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:28 AM

I agree I am a bit intimidated also. I have read and re-read the instructions, but ...

I think Eddie needs to make us a tute - what do you think? :lol:

Then he can give the bag to Melissa or one of his DD's. :)
Old 05-19-2010, 04:38 AM

I just finished one that I could have made 3 quilts by the time I got this thing done LOL...I told me DD if I buy one more purse pattern, shoot me with rolled up FQs
Old 05-19-2010, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

I made my first one by useing an old tote bag as a pattern. I used fabric I didnt care too much about in case I didnt like it....turned out good, and I use it all the time. Just jump right in, you'll be fine!
Old 05-19-2010, 04:55 AM

I started by making little purses for my granddaughters just to experiment with doing it and graduated to larger ones for my daughters. Very simple envelope types with handles sewn into the top seams. I didn't use a pattern, but have studied some so i can get more complicated next time. I just figured out the steps as I went along, using interesting fabrics for inside and outside pockets and different fabrics for the inside and outside. that's the fun part. My daughter, an artist in NYC, uses hers at art openings and gets oohs and aahs every time because of the interesting fabric combinations. I have yet to make one for myself, as usual. I'd attach pictures but don't know how.