Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am i the ONLY one intimidated by making a  purse??? >

Am i the ONLY one intimidated by making a purse???

Am i the ONLY one intimidated by making a purse???

Old 05-19-2010, 05:18 AM

No you are not alone. I have a fear of anything sewn, let alone a lined or even unlined purse. I have tutorals, patterns galore I have save from the internet, I look and am so jealous of you folks that can make them. But here goes folks I can't even sew on a button. Yes I make quilts but that is the reason I am not good at it. I try and love it, but no way am I going to make anything else... Nope. I can't sew.

Rita
Old 05-19-2010, 06:03 AM

I made one and I've only been sewing since last summer. First non-quilt project. It took a couple of days and read and re-read instructions, slept on doing part of it, but finished it the next day. It turned out really cute and I think I did a pretty good job!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-69938.jpe   attachment-69939.jpe   attachment-69940.jpe  
Old 05-19-2010, 06:06 AM

I love to make purses, totes and small and large simple bags. I began yrs ago just with simple and no pattern-but there are some really nice purse/bag patterns out there and as everyone else says-read the directions. I keep the pattern instructions close to refer to on the 1st time using the pattern. I usually line with a light colored fabric-make the inside pockets out of the strap or body fabric. The light lining helps find things in the bottom of the bag. I like to make a sleeve for the plastic canvas I put in the bottom to help stiffen it. Try it -you'll like it!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:07 AM

Very nice! Love all the pockets.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:22 AM

I design and make my own purse patterns. Even put myself through some semesters of college selling large totes as book bags. I LOVE Amy Butlers patterns. But for all time easy and fun to start your new obsession, try Cindy Taylor Oates "totes" and then on to "totes with zippers". These are basic and you will gain so much knowledge about construction. Good luck all. I wish you were all close to me in central Mass and could come to a class. I love teaching my bag classes.
LHUNT212??? What is your avatar? Mine is an award winning bag I created and it traveled with Robert Kaufman for a year. One of my proudest moments.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 AM

ME TOO! I keep looking, thinking,"I am going to try this!" but I haven't yet.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 AM

Purses are so easy to make....if you make your own patterns and/or start with an easy pattern. I've made LOTS of purses and diaper bags. Don't start with a difficult pattern and also don't start with a sewn in bottom. There are some patterns in Simplicity and McCalls that have the bottom with the cut out corners. It is really easy once you get the hang of it. Just start with the easy ones and work your way up to the more difficult. I make a lot of them for gifts. The patterns that are sold in the quilt shops are copywritten and you cannot make one to sell. It's for personal use only. That's why I make my own patterns.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:01 AM

I have made several purses and I have found that if I just go one step at a time, I'm fine. When I try to first read the whole pattern, I think.."Oh No"....but taking it in stride, works for me. And like someone else said, there is a lot of help here on this forum. I have found Lazy Girl Patterns to be very clear.......but other's are too. Do you have any particular pattern in mind? Perhaps you can ask us if any of us have made that one and we can give you our "take".....
Old 05-19-2010, 07:07 AM

The Bow Tuck Pattern is very easy to follow! Just take your time and read the directions..........they really make it easy for you to take it step by step. My first purse was a Bow Tucks. My second one was a Diva Essential Designer Bag. The directions were also concise but the black and white pictures really screwed me up and once I finished the purse..........it was much easier than I made it to be. Be sure to mark each pattern piece so you are sure you have the right one when the directions say to sew them together. If I can do it anyone can!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:12 AM

I would love to make a purse, but am just too timid to start. I have purchased several patterns, and have several quilting magazines with patterns and step by step directions in them; have plenty of fabric. Just am afraid to start one.