Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am i the ONLY one intimidated by making a  purse??? >

Am i the ONLY one intimidated by making a purse???

Am i the ONLY one intimidated by making a purse???

Old 05-19-2010, 04:30 PM

I used a free pattern from All People Quilt.com for my first bag. It turned out fine! The one I used was "Paisley & Print Patchwork Bag" but there are quite a few free choices. I gave the first one to my mom. I made a second one and tweeked it a bit as I gained confidence. I used scrapes and leftovers so the only thing I had to buy was the magnetic snap, Peltex for the bottom, and webbing for the straps. Since I hadn't invested much, I wasn't too concerned if it turned out badly. Read the directions through very carefully before beginning. Try one. Good Luck!
Old 05-19-2010, 04:50 PM

I've made about 8 of the Grommet Purses and just love making them. They are super easy. You might want to check that pattern out. The one I made is the Grids & Grommets by Indygo Junction.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

I am also affraid to try one but I have seen some attravtive bow tuck purses on this site and I know I will try one day to make one. I thik I can, I think I can, Yea I can and I will. THERE!
Old 05-19-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by taiboo
I see everyone post pictures on the picture treads of purses they made, I have never made one and i am soooooo intimidated by them. I would LOVE to do it, but seriously have no idea how.

Are their any tutorials on them anywhere?
no your not i am too the times i tried they ended up in the trash but i will try again some time
try u tube for tutorials or video
mema
Old 05-19-2010, 06:09 PM

I was until I made a couple of purses. Some of the patterns can be confusing, all depending on whose they are. But if you keep each piece marked with a post it note, you won't get confused. If you can quilt, you can make a purse!
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 05-19-2010, 06:42 PM

I love, love, love making bags and totes! My whole family of females are all bag lovers and every time I make one daughters, mom, sisters-in-law, nieces all vie for who gets it! If you just dive in, you find most are not hard and for all you fellow lovers or especially for those who want to venture forth and give it a try go to diybaglover.blogspot.com She has tons of free patterns and tutorials for all types of bags from small travel pouches and water bottle carriers to handbags and totes. If you give it a try, I think you'll enjoy it. You can make something to match outfits. You can make great gifts. And most take very little time to throw together!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
I was really nervous the first time I did it but it was actually much simpler than I thought! I just did each thing step by step and used stickers to mark each piece so I didn't get confused. They are no harder than putting a quilt together!
I think that is the secret--one step at a time. I have made several, even made my own pattern for some; and yet, the first time I read a pattern for one it seems so complicated. It does sometimes take several readings. Go for it! You will probably be surprised at how easy it is!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Maride
No need to be intimidated. You try...if you like it, you show it. If you don't like it, learn what you did wrong and try again...and you get a grocery bag. No one care what your grocery bags look like. Is not as hard as it looks. They usually go quick...unless you start with the Professional Tote like I did, which took me 4 nights and some headaches. Start with something simple and before you know you will be another bag lady.
Have to ask--what is the 'Professional Tote?' Haven't heard of that one.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:47 PM

Go to this site I just downloaded it : madebyrea.blogspot.com
Old 05-19-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by ladyredhawk
Go to this site I just downloaded it : madebyrea.blogspot.com
I couldn't get this but did find madebyrae.blogspot.com Thanks for the site. Cute bags!