Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am i the ONLY one intimidated by making a  purse??? >

Am i the ONLY one intimidated by making a purse???

Am i the ONLY one intimidated by making a purse???

Old 05-19-2010, 08:19 PM

I tried that pattern but did not have as much luck. I don't think the directions are thorough enough for a beginner. Here is how mine turned out:(
Attached Thumbnails attachment-70312.jpe  
Old 05-20-2010, 12:27 AM
Banned

I have not made a purse yet. God bless. Penny
Old 05-20-2010, 05:11 AM

I love making purses. I definitely would buy a pattern to make your first one. I have bought several patterns - like to get them at Joanne's when they have the 99cent patterns. Another wonderful (but more expensive patterns but they are awesome) is http://www.studiokatdesigns.com/

Here is a link for links to many free patterns.
http://www.henriettashandbags.com/Craft_Ideas.html)
Old 05-20-2010, 06:14 AM

I have made a few purses. I like to make the deli bag by Penny Sturges and I use them for purses, not a lunch bag. I love the pockets in it. I have the bow tucks pattern will make it maybe next week. I have the book of purses totes and bags and made a few out of it. They are so addicting once you get over the initial fright. I will help anyone if I can, if they start and get in to trouble.. You will like to make them once you make one they are like quilting always want to make more! Quilter000
Old 05-20-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by ladyredhawk
Go to this site I just downloaded it : madebyrea.blogspot.com
Ok, I must be blind or something. I went to her site, but could not find anything about a Professional Tote. :cry:
Old 05-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Girls,
Now listen up. Don't be afraid of making purses. Just slow way down and take your time. Make sure you know what the instructions are saying before you do that step.

It is very much like learning anything else. It just takes a little time and thinking to make the purse you want. If you want something that will hold up to use, use a heavier fabric, or pre-quilt cotton for the outside fabric and then cut out the pieces.
Men's suiting makes great looking bags. Or how about boiled wool or some lovely old floral drapery fabric?

If you want a zipper where there is none shown, put one in. Then cut out the piece as a whole. Just make sure you position the zipper where it should be before cutting it out.

Make sure you use a heavier needle as there are many layers to go through. Also a nice heavy thread with slightly smaller stitches on the bottom edge to hold up to what we put into those purses.

Also, and I think this is my favorite part.... be creative. Use decorative handles and accents that make it one of a kind. There are antique buttons, tassels, appliques, even old jewlery that looks great on bags. How about some heavy chain for the handles from the hardware store? Or some other thing that isn't made for a purse, but would work great to get the job done. Take an old purse apart. There are construction details inside that make a purse better. And often you can re-use the parts. (feet, magnetic clasp, handles, ect.)

See what I mean? Have fun with it! It takes time to make a great bag. Mine take two or three days sometimes. Oh I know, but how long are you going to use it? Just hink ahead a little and have what you need on hand before you start.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by cheryl222
I love making purses. I definitely would buy a pattern to make your first one. I have bought several patterns - like to get them at Joanne's when they have the 99cent patterns. Another wonderful (but more expensive patterns but they are awesome) is http://www.studiokatdesigns.com/

Here is a link for links to many free patterns.
http://www.henriettashandbags.com/Craft_Ideas.html)

Cheryl, do you have another Link for this site (Henriettas)? It didn't work for me. TIA
Old 05-20-2010, 09:55 AM

I just found this link for free patterns, enjoy!
http://pursepatterns.com/free_bag_patterns.html
Old 05-20-2010, 04:28 PM

Purses and bags are generally pretty simple to make, but the details and instructions can be confusing to some. That is why I teach Bag Lady Clubs at 2 different quilt shops here in the Valley. <G>
The favorite patterns in both clubs are those by Joan Hawley, Lazy Girls Designs. She has lots of great styles of bags/purses and different sizes and such. All her patterns have photos to show the steps and sequence for assembling the bags.

Penny Sturges, Quilts Illustrated, is the designer of the Bow Tucks Tote and also has several different patterns around.

Once you start to make bags you will find that a lot of the details can be made in different ways. Find the way that is easiest/fastest for you and use it for any bag. (for example, fabric straps are going to be fabric straps. The differences are width and whether or not you add batting/fleece to the strap and how much you add. As long as you end up with a strap/handle that is the right width and length how you get there is pretty much up to you.)

Remember, when you are making a bag it is usually a utility thing. Yes it is wonderful if it looks great and is stylish, but...
Close is good enough. On most any part. If your seams are off a bit so what, the next time will be better. Do the best you can and improve each time.
Also, once you make a bag by the pattern you will see where and how you might want to modify it. The more you make the easier they are and so forth.

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx
Old 05-20-2010, 04:33 PM

You found it...apparently they renamed the site.