Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am new to quilting and I really need help!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-new-quilting-i-really-need-help-t27719.html)

Quilting G 10-28-2009 06:53 AM

I started with an irish chain quilt. I bought a mat kit which had the cutting matt rottery cutter and ruler. I have a home sewing machine. Not cheap because I wanted it to do embrodry work (which I never use). Here is the pattern that I used. http://www.ezquilt.com/patterns/iris...irishchain.htm
I have gotten a lot of compliments for it and I will be doing at least one for christmas because I know it goes quick and easy...

Just remember there are no quilt police and have fun..... and keep us updated.

ellemay 10-28-2009 07:20 AM

I got this idea that I wanted the grandchildren to have a lap quilt to cover with when watching tv. I found an awesome pattern for my oldest grandchild from a book I picked up at Hancocks. It used a lot of applique which I did on my embroidery machine. But it was time consuming so I decided that the other ones needed to be simpler to get done by Christmas. I mananged to get them all done just in the nick of time but now I am hooked. Since then I have done 2 twin size, 2 full size and 1 wall quilt. I just can't work fast enough to do all that I want to do and I find my stash is growing in leaps and bounds.

sewgull 10-30-2009 06:54 PM

My first quilt is a treasure to me. The corners don't match and all the seams are not perfect. It is my prize, I only see funny things with the quilt.
I have learned many things from this first attempt, like just have fun and enjoy creating something that is you. God did not create us in perfect size or shape. In other words there is no right or wrong way to quilt. I have completed quilts for my 2 daughters, 4 grandchldren and husband. I am now working on a black and white quilt for my neice's wedding gift. My sewing is my gift of love to my family.

cbmesu 10-30-2009 08:07 PM

You guys are so great!! Thanks for the advice and help! I bought the necessary tools. Some awesome fabric. And I bought a kenmore sewing machine. I have started cutting and I just cant wait to get my machine in so i can start piecing!!! Thanks again and I will definitely post by first product lol Is there anywhere to find quilting designs?

mimee4 11-01-2009 07:49 AM

You will find lots of help here as well as encouragement. Just get started and you will be amazed at what you really can do. Can't wait to see your first creation. :)

RuthiesRetreat3 11-01-2009 11:52 AM

Before I purchased my inexpensive long arm, I tried quilting on my regular sewing machine. I had two, a Kenmore that I purchased many years ago and and Brother sewing/embroidery machine, Even tho both would sew backstitch, and both could drop the feed dogs, (and the Brother could sew diagonal and sideways, neither one worked with quilting in a free-motion format. They just woldn't keep the tension right and the back always had onestraight thread held in place with lots of loops. So I took a quilt sandwich about 12 x 12 inches to a sewing machine store (a sew-vac store), told them I wanted to try out several of their machines, and the one that actually worked the best at free-motion quilting was a VERY inexpensive WHITE brand (about $150) and I use it all the time for free-motion quilting that I don't do on the quilting frame with my Bailey Long Arm (which by the way is a few thousand dollars less than the long arms that always get the spotlight on TV quilting shows.

MadQuilter 11-01-2009 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by cbmesu
I just started quilting and already lost my confidence!

Don't give up!!!!! Part of the fun is learning new techniques and trying out what works for you. Most of the gadgets are unnecessary to produce a good quilt - particularly for a newbie. You have to master understanding the pattern, cutting correctly, sewing 1/4" seams, assembling the block, proper pressing, and so on. A basic tool set will do you just fine. (Mat, rotary cutter, ruler, and basic sewing supplies) Have fun with it - my gosh, when I think back where I first started and where I am now. Worlds of difference.

trupeach 11-01-2009 03:27 PM

I hand do everything all you need is fabric scissors, ruler, needle and thread and your on your way to quilting land.

Mylovngheart 11-02-2009 06:16 AM

I too, am just beginning. It seems I read more about quilting, collect patterns, browse fabrics, than I actually quilt...but I'm still havin' fun!

I just recently started looking into making a "Rag Quilt", they're supposedly super easy, and very forgiving esp for beginners. All you need to know basically is how to sew a straight line. There's lots of tutorials out there on line, just google Rag Quilt, and I'm sure you can figure it out...I did. Here's one to get you started...

http://greenappleorchard.blogspot.co...-tutorial.html

Like everyone said, just have fun with it...it's a learning process, each project will get better and better.

Now, go buy some fabric and let's both get started...

Good Luck!

TX_Cutie 11-02-2009 06:26 AM

I loved denverjjoy's post - " "The quilt police are not going to show up at your door, so don't fret about the mistakes." :D

I just got a new machine - a Brother XR-9000. it cost $190 at Costco and in my opinion, is a super duper hotsy totsy machine. I've been informed by less than polite salesclerks at my LQS that it's a cheapie machine. Poo on them.

I started quilting years ago on a the walmart $100 cheapie and made several beautiful quilts. A fancy machine is NOT a necessity.

Assuming you've got a machine with thread, all you really need to get started is fabric and a cutting utensil (scissors will work but a rotary cutter is SOOOO much easier).