Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am tired...stash sorting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-tired-stash-sorting-t48511.html)

dkabasketlady 06-05-2010 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I sort by type too, but right now its a MESS!

That's me also, I've been trying to reorganize my small space to utilize it better. All my fabric is in totes by color, theme & FQ's in clear totes.

brushandthimble 06-05-2010 07:08 PM

I have been wrapping my fabric on the comic boards. First I glued two together for more stability. Have wrapped 92 already, three shelves and have six shelves to go.

crafjan 06-06-2010 03:37 AM

I find it best to sort my fabric by color, I fold it like they are on the bolts.

Honey 06-06-2010 04:12 AM

All of mine are in labeled bins:

Christmas
Red, White & Blue
Childrens
Flowers
Fall (Halloween)
Flannel
Kits (These a kits that I bought and fabric combos that I have put together for a spacific project.)

Nancy S. 06-06-2010 04:23 AM

I have 9 draws of fat quarters labeled by color. My closet has shelves that has flannel by color). A large antique dish cupboard full and it is by color. Backings and big yardage is in another cabinet. Then there is those draws on wheels three sets of those with mostly strips squares and scraps. And I can't pass up a sale. My name is Nancy and I need help!!!!

Rettie V. Grama 06-06-2010 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by sewloved
I just finished getting my sewing room together. We added a cutting table, extended the size of the area, and rearranged the furniture. I have a bunch of material that I hadn't put out yet because I didn't have a place for it. I have a 3 foot tall pile of fabric to fold and put away. I am excited but exhausted.

I am waiting til after dinner to start folding, sorting, etc. How do you arrange your stash? By color, type, plans?

Sounds like you are in the same place I was 6 months ago. Since then I've remodeled my sewing/office room. I now have plenty of drawers for my fabric. Small prints, larger prints, plains, don't know what to do with. Keep the confusion at bay somewhat.

luvstoquilt301 06-06-2010 05:13 AM

MistyMarie-----I LOVE those shelves. They are just beautiful

gollytwo 06-06-2010 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I organize mine by color and theme. I put all my 2+ yards on organizers and store them vertically on bookshelves. All my 1 yard cuts I store horizontally by color on another bookshelf with dividers between. My fat quarters are in a dresser, organized by color and by theme. Some of my FQ are stored on DVD stands vertically around organizer boards.

Unbelieveable!
I am so envious.

mar32428 06-06-2010 06:43 AM

When I first took over my big (15' x 25') room, I had everything arranged and sorted. Three years later, everything is still arranged, sorta. I tried arranging my stash according to colors sizes etc. but that was a waste of time after awhile. When I go thru the stash to pull out fabric for PP etc, I take out many pieces to see what works together. Of course, they don't all get put back cause I'm in a hurry to got to something else.

Right now I am clearing the decks, but fabric is still not sorted. The way I have it stacked in my cabinets, I can sit back, scan the whole thing and usually spot the two or three colors I want. Saves time cause I'm not going to put them back where they go. Sometimes, I'll see a fabric stacked on top of another that I thot would never work together but realize they look good together. A bonus.

bstanbro 06-06-2010 08:14 AM

I sort mine by color in plastic drawer-style bins. However, I have large bucket-style bins with Christmas fabric, cat fabric (my favorite), landscape fabric, and something else I can't think of. Also, if I have some fabric paired up with a pattern, I put those together in smaller bins. I like looking at those things occasionally. Sometimes I change my mind about which fabrics should be paired with which patterns.