Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I am tired...stash sorting?

I just finished getting my sewing room together. We added a cutting table, extended the size of the area, and rearranged the furniture. I have a bunch of material that I hadn't put out yet because I didn't have a place for it. I have a 3 foot tall pile of fabric to fold and put away. I am excited but exhausted.

I am waiting til after dinner to start folding, sorting, etc. How do you arrange your stash? By color, type, plans?

I do mine by size, and then color within that size.

I put fat quarters together, then 1/2 yards, 1-2 yards, etc.
    and I arrange them by colors. I have a tote full of larger yardages for backing. I also have some smaller clear totes with all the fabrics for certain projects that I labeled "ready to cut". Then after I cut that project is done, I can use it again. I try to cut projects in the fall and winter to get me through the first part of spring and summer because I am so busy outside that I only find small blocks of time to sew, and when they are all ready to go it makes it so easy!

I will be getting a new sewing space soon, and have been thinking about how to arrange it, but OMG if I do that, my DH might see how much fabric I really have! That could be disasterous!
    Good luck with your sorting and folding!

I sort my fabric in the following way:

Christmas fabrics
    Prints (med. and lrg.) by color
    Blenders by color

This works for me. It is a lot of work getting everything organized, especially if you have a large stash. It will be worth all the effort though, and it will be easy to keep it this way because new fabrics coming home with you will already have a spot to land in. :wink: Please post pics when you're finished.

Blog Entries
    I keep my Christmas fabric, FQs and solids separate from the rest of the stash. I arrange all of the fabric in my stash by color then from light to dark within the colors (i.e. lightest shade of yellow to darkest shade of yellow). I just love opening up the closet doors and seeing all those beautiful colors. It's so much easier to locate what I want. Believe it or not I even hang my clothes by item and then color! DVDs and video tapes are in alphabetical order. These things might sound crazy, but I never have a problem locating exactly what I need! Does that make me anal??!!

Quote Originally Posted by pab58
    I keep my Christmas fabric, FQs and solids separate from the rest of the stash. I arrange all of the fabric in my stash by color.....
    I like this idea. :D

I keep my Christmas fabric, FQs and solids separate from the rest of the stash. I arrange all of the fabric in my stash by color then from light to dark within the colors (i.e. lightest shade of yellow to darkest shade of yellow). I just love opening up the closet doors and seeing all those beautiful colors. It's so much easier to locate what I want. Believe it or not I even hang my clothes by item and then color! DVDs and video tapes are in alphabetical order. These things might sound crazy, but I never have a problem locating exactly what I need! Does that make me anal??!!
    Sounds like you might have "CDO" That's like OCD, but the letters are in the correct order as they should be!! :lol:

I sort by color, and categories,ie Christmas, 1930's, reproductions, batiks. Also seperate, fabrics for bindings (strips, geometrics etc. that I think will make an interesting binding), and backings.
    All my FQ are in 2 drawers sorted by color, another drawer for red and white, and sorted seperately black and whites.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
    Sounds like you might have "CDO" That's like OCD, but the letters are in the correct order as they should be!! :lol:
    Too funny!!! :lol: I prefer to think that I'm just really organized -- at least in that part of my life!!! ;) The good thing is that my fiance is just as bad!! 8-) To use it's just the logical thing to do! :P

Yes it does...welcome to the club :lol: :lol: :lol:

I sort by categories, 30's reproductions, batiks, novelty, Asian, Christmas, etc.

I do categories as well, 30's, red-white-blue-patriotics, black-white, Asian, Christmas, tone-on-tone, florals, etc.

RST
    Blog Entries
    I keep strips and scraps in clear shoe boxes, by color.

FQ (and some smaller chunks) up through yardage, I keep in drawers, sorted as
    a)neutrals (black-grey, beige-brown, whites
    b)cool colors (blues/greens/some purples)
    c)warm colors (yellows, oranges, reds, purples and pinks d)novelty prints and seasonal patterns

For collections that I purchased together, pre-cuts, or things that i specifically intend to use in a single project, Ill keep them together in a clear show box.

I have some neutrals that I use for backings and sashings, etc, on the bolt until they get into a more manageable quantity.

As a new quilter I have a great system too ... I fold my fabric and scraps and put it in two pink crates in my sewing room. When I need a fabric, I scratch through the crates trying to find the piece I need ... the whole time saying, "I know I have some fabric in here that will work." I am really envious of those of you who are so organized. You have given me some great ideas to get myself organized before I get too deep in fabric. Thanks ... I love this Board!

I sort by type first - Christmas, batiks, homespuns, flanels, border fabric, baby, and florals. Then in each catagory, I sort by color. Then my colors I sort dark to light with darks on the bottom of each pile. And yes, I think I do have a touch of OCD!

Blog Entries
    awesome

I sort by type too, but right now its a MESS!

I organize mine by color and theme. I put all my 2+ yards on organizers and store them vertically on bookshelves. All my 1 yard cuts I store horizontally by color on another bookshelf with dividers between. My fat quarters are in a dresser, organized by color and by theme. Some of my FQ are stored on DVD stands vertically around organizer boards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mine are in clear plastic containers in catagories such as, Fall and Halloween, Christmas, doggies, and the like. I also have some in groups of when it was bought. I started getting 2 yards of whatever I buy, just last year. The newest stuff is all together.

I sort mine by size and than color. Sounds like a busy yet productive day.

I feel to ashamed. I have a tool cabinet with shelves:

Top shelf I can't reach, so I keep parts of my machines and things I know I will not need in a while. Second shelf Fat Quarters Third non-fat quarters and bottom magazines. Is a real mess but I know where things are and use up my time sewing instead.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    I sort by type too, but right now its a MESS!
    That's me also, I've been trying to reorganize my small space to utilize it better. All my fabric is in totes by color, theme & FQ's in clear totes.

I have been wrapping my fabric on the comic boards. First I glued two together for more stability. Have wrapped 92 already, three shelves and have six shelves to go.

I find it best to sort my fabric by color, I fold it like they are on the bolts.

All of mine are in labeled bins:

Christmas
    Red, White & Blue
    Childrens
    Flowers
    Fall (Halloween)
    Flannel
    Kits (These a kits that I bought and fabric combos that I have put together for a spacific project.)

I have 9 draws of fat quarters labeled by color. My closet has shelves that has flannel by color). A large antique dish cupboard full and it is by color. Backings and big yardage is in another cabinet. Then there is those draws on wheels three sets of those with mostly strips squares and scraps. And I can't pass up a sale. My name is Nancy and I need help!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast