Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am trying! I really am! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-trying-i-really-am-t69008.html)

Central Ohio Quilter 10-08-2010 06:38 AM

I am trying to NOT add to my growing stash of fabric...... but.... I found an ad on Criag's List for a quilter's/sewer's sale in Columbus today and tomorrow. She is having it at a church, and selling:

"Fabric, Fabric and Lots of more Fabric. Singer Fabric Presser

Books, Threads, Patterns, Notions. Brother Sewing Machine

Quilting, Craft and Knitting Tools. Upholstery, Knits & Drape Material.

Private Quilter's Stash is being liquidated.

***** BARGAINS GALORE ***** "

OH..... how I would love to go and buy, buy, buy!!!!! But so far I am resisting. It would be about an hour drive for me to get there, about 50 miles each way. That would be a lot of gas burned in my gas guzzler. And then WHO KNOWS how much money I would spend once I got there!

Oh, yeah.... I REALLY do NOT need any more fabric! I have enough to last my whole lifetime!

But OH, .... it is SO tempting! Maybe tomorrow! But by then, the best stuff will be gone! What to do!!!!!?????

amma 10-08-2010 06:43 AM

Have you left yet? :wink: :D:D:D

Quilter7x 10-08-2010 06:46 AM

LOL. Who doesn't love a bargain? But if you already have a decent stash, and it's that far away, which means a lot of gas like you said, maybe it's better left alone. Just pretend all the fabric is older and not in style right now.

Did that help?

luvTooQuilt 10-08-2010 06:47 AM

safe travels... :-P

akrogirl 10-08-2010 06:47 AM

Why can't I find sales like that around me, lol. The one ad I followed up on turned out to be a bin of the cheapest, nastiest fabric imaginable. I can't even begin to think of a store that would have sold it :? :thumbdown:

seamstome 10-08-2010 06:52 AM

Ask yourself is a bargain a bargain if you are not going to use it and will end up selling it yourself on Craigslist in a few years. If you have plenty of disposable money and find something you will USE NOW, have a great time.

Theresa 10-08-2010 06:54 AM

Quilt instead of shop!

wvdek 10-08-2010 07:12 AM

I agree with seamsto me. Why buy fabric you won't use, don't like, and maybe don't have the money for just because it is a bargain and you get caught up in the moment.

Wait and buy something you really want and need.

athenagwis 10-08-2010 07:18 AM

I agree too, I have found a lot of those sales are fabrics that have been in someone else's house for 10+ years and are older, thinner styles that I really wouldn't use. People that spent $10/yard on newer styles don't sell off like that. (Well maybe they will in 10 years, but not yet anyway!!) Plus it sounds like you already have a decent stash, so no matter the price having more fabric than you know what to do with will only put you in the same position as this woman 10 years from now, except you'll be trying to sell 20 year old fabric then.

I vote, stay home and dig into your stash and quilt quilt quilt. If that doesn't sound appealing, reorganize the fabrics you do have. Pulling them all out and refolding them all will surely put a damper on the want to buy more!

Cheers!
Rachel

littlehud 10-08-2010 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Theresa
Quilt instead of shop!

Great idea. I need to do the same.