Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am wondering how hard it would be to make this quilt? My 2 Baby Sisters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-wondering-how-hard-would-make-quilt-my-2-baby-sisters-t221689.html)

patmadrid 05-18-2013 05:55 AM

Hi, this is a beautiful kit and the colors are great. Paper piecing can be a pain in the you know what, but the accuracy of the finished quilt is well worth it. You might want to consider taking a Judy Niemeyer class. Her methods are great, but her patterns were a little complicated for me the first time. Good luck.

tessagin 05-18-2013 06:29 AM

You could send an email and see if you could just purchase the pattern. Or check out "Free Quilt Patterns" and see if you find something there.

linda faye 05-18-2013 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie (Post 6070600)
You can do it.
If you have a problem, your friends on the board will help you!

Twinkie says it all.....good luck and we look forward to your updates. Do a sample block before proceeding...

JoanneS 05-18-2013 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6070133)
How would one paper-piece a LeMoyne star?

That's what I've been trying to figure out. It would change my mind about them if could pp them. I've always been reluctant to try them, because of all the Y-seams.

Also, AngelinaMarie - did you notice at the kit does NOT include the backing? If you want it match the quilt, that adds quite a bit to your cost.

MacThayer 05-18-2013 01:27 PM

I love PP, but I'll admit, it was a trick to learn! For me anyway. But I worked through it and just love it! I cannot explain why I found PP so darn hard when it was so easy for me to pick up FMQ, and I know people really struggle with FMQ. I'm convinced that the ability to learn a specific task easily or hard is hard-wired in our brains! LOL!

craftynell 05-18-2013 01:59 PM

It is a wonderful pattern & the color & fabrics are beautiful.

mrs. fitz 05-18-2013 07:07 PM

It's a beautiful pattern but I represent those who HATE paper piecing so I agree with the many suggestions to try some blocks first before investing in this kit. If you like the process, go for it. Give it a good try but don't spend two hundred dollars plus before being sure this is something you'll enjoy doing.

maryellen2u 05-18-2013 08:19 PM

I would look at how Jenny Doan does a star and see if you can use her very simple method of making the star if you don't want to paper piece. Her stars are easy peasy!

jmoore 05-19-2013 02:37 AM

definitely a beautiful pattern... one of my quilting goals for 2013 was to learn pape piecing so I took a one-on-one class at my LQS and it is easy enough but it is also more time consuming to remove all the paper backing. My thoughts would be as long as you were patient and not in any hurry to complete the quilt, it would be a beautiful one to do.

Aurora 05-19-2013 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 6069162)
why not practice with a little paper piecing tutorial first to see if you like the technique.
I can do it, but PP drives me a little crazy. Makes me feel dyslexic.

edited to say: It's a beautiful pattern. I would be tempted to piece the center and only use the paper piecing for the flying geese.

Your edit was exactly what I was thinking.