Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I bought the Gingher seam ripper today but... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-bought-gingher-seam-ripper-today-but-t71381.html)

Chrickett 10-22-2010 03:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the same machine and mine do not seem to be too small, try a 2.3 or 2.4 and see if that will help. if not check with the place you bought the macnine, maybe it just needs an adjustent. I hope this will help you . Have a great day.

Originally Posted by gale
when I tried to rip out a practice seam my stitches were too small for the end of the ripper to fit underneat. Are my stitches too small maybe? I think it's 2.2 and I have a Janome 6600. It's the default and I never changed it. Or am I doing it wrong?

GladGrams 10-22-2010 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by gale
when I tried to rip out a practice seam my stitches were too small for the end of the ripper to fit underneat. Are my stitches too small maybe? I think it's 2.2 and I have a Janome 6600. It's the default and I never changed it. Or am I doing it wrong?

I bought one too and I hate it! :thumbdown:

duckydo 10-22-2010 04:15 AM

the best seam ripper I have ever used is combi cut it has tweezer on one end. here is the web site www.hometownquiltsupply.net/product-p/50418.htm - Cached

quiltmom04 10-22-2010 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lilrain

Originally Posted by Lilrain
We had a speaker at our guild that said she used the cheapy eyebrown trimmers that are two for a dollar at dollar stores. my friend and I have tried them, and they are great. The idea is like using a razor blade, but these little things have a handle and are not dangerous. Put a little tension on your seam, pulling it apart and then use the eyebrown trimmer like a razor blade.

If I do use a seam ripper I use a Clover brand

I use a Clover, too, and it's nice and thin. But when I paper piece (or to be more correct - UN paper piece!) I use an Olfa curved point trimmer and use it like a razor blade Lilrain said.

steelecg 10-22-2010 04:52 AM

2.2 shouldn't be too small - I have had trouble with 1.5 when paper piecing - good luck

Chrickett 10-22-2010 05:26 AM

I bought one from Fons and Porter and I like it a lot, it takes out even the smallest seams. You girls realize that these thngs we use are designed by men that do not sew, Ha Ha

patdesign 10-22-2010 05:44 AM

Mine is a folding seam ripper very small, and I think I bought it at Michaels or Walmart, just can't find another but sure would like to, it is the smallest I've seen.

cheryl222 10-22-2010 05:57 AM

My favorite is the one that came with my Husqvarna. It is gray - less than $5 at their store. I bought an extra for those times the original decides to wander away for a short vacation!

irma tapia 10-22-2010 06:25 AM

Hi Gale
I have that seam ripper & I love it! I also have the scissors and they cut like cream!!!!! Your stitch might be too small, I use 2.5

chamby 10-22-2010 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I shouldn't admit it, but I have always used a small rotary cutter. I saw the tip about the eyebrow shaper/trimmer on a video and now I use it because people panic when I use the rotary cutter.

Hey, you are in great company. I just watched Eleanor Burns use probably a 45mm rotary cutter to rip her seams out. She stated that her mother used to use razor blades but Eleanor thought the rotary cutter was safer.

Great minds must think alike! :D :D

If I were to use a blade to rip seams I would end up cutting my fabric. Then I would really be mad!!!!