Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I bought the Gingher seam ripper today but... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-bought-gingher-seam-ripper-today-but-t71381.html)

Rose Lee 10-22-2010 08:20 AM

No, this newer seam rippers seem to be thicker and blunt, they are nice for wear and for durability,(since you can't use them), I find myself buying the smaller ones as they are the ones that seem to have a finer,thinner cutting edge.

tjradj 10-22-2010 08:46 AM

I like the one that came with my Janome machine. The tip is very tiny and sharp!
I only wish it had a larger handle for my large hands.

Susan49 10-22-2010 09:38 AM

I have become confused as to which "one" you later ladies are talking about. I have not seen the gingher. This summer at the Long Beach International Quilt Festival there was a vender that was selling a seam ripper with a large wooden handle. They came in different designs and different woods. The blades are thin and what is really nice, they are replacable. I am sorry that I don't have info on how to get them, but look at all the shows.
I have a wonderful blue ripper that I use on my longarm. It has a bent tip and helps to get into stitches, unfortunately I have no idea how the tip was bent. I tried bending one, but it broke.

sylvia77 10-22-2010 10:07 AM

They make different sizes of seam rippers for different fabrics. You wouldn't use a small one for denim for example. It would break. You have to really look at them to make sure you get one that will suit you.

brightstar_202 10-22-2010 11:47 AM

When it comes to seam rippers I really like the one Bernina sells it is small enough for the small stitches and large enough for bluejeans and work clothes.

QuiltswithConvicts 10-22-2010 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by gale
when I tried to rip out a practice seam my stitches were too small for the end of the ripper to fit underneat. Are my stitches too small maybe? I think it's 2.2 and I have a Janome 6600. It's the default and I never changed it. Or am I doing it wrong?

Gale, I have the same machine & I find that the 2.2 default setting is too long for me. I reduce it to 2.0 for regular piecing and to 1.8 for paper piecing. Are you holding on too tightly to the front of whatever you are trying to piece? OR is the pressure of the presser foot too high? I have reduced mine to 1-ish, even though the book recommends the 2 - 3 range. I find that is just way too tight.

Good luck on trying to figure out what's going on.

19angel52 10-22-2010 03:19 PM

....she used the cheapy eyebrown trimmers that are two for a dollar at dollar stores. my friend and I have tried them, and they are great. The idea is like using a razor blade, but these little things have a handle and are not dangerous. Put a little tension on your seam, pulling it apart and then use the eyebrown trimmer like a razor blade.[/quote]

What a great idea to pass along!!!! And I thought I had read all the tricks to the trade....ha

:lol:

QuiltswithConvicts 10-22-2010 03:19 PM

P.S. I love the Clover seam rippers - very fine tip for getting into tight places.

martha jo 10-22-2010 03:22 PM

I have some real tiny ginghers that I bought in 1976 and they fit into any seam I have ever sewn. Love them.

smitty 10-22-2010 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by gale
when I tried to rip out a practice seam my stitches were too small for the end of the ripper to fit underneat. Are my stitches too small maybe? I think it's 2.2 and I have a Janome 6600. It's the default and I never changed it. Or am I doing it wrong?

rec'd the Gingher as a gift--never have figured out how to use it.the rounded point just will not go between regular sewing stitches. put it away & tried days later, but still can not use it. and it is so pretty--and pricey ! has anyone used it successfully ?