Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I can't find spray starch in any store in my area. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-cant-find-spray-starch-any-store-my-area-t316435.html)

Sew Girl 2 07-16-2022 07:25 AM

Spray starch

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8509101)
I found Sta Flo liquid at Walmart but spay starch is off the shelves in all the stores that usually have it. I have a gallon of Best Press but prefer the spray starch. Niagara bought out Faultless so is the company not making as much? Who knows. The last cans I found were at The Dollar Tree. Odd brand but works fine. Even they are out online and in the store. Anyone notice if spray starch is hard to find in their area?

I purchases my spray starch on line. I like the "Faithless Quilting & Crafting trigger bottle better than anything I have found. It's about $9 a bottle, but it does go a long ways and I don't think I use as much of it to get the fabric ready to quilt. Some of the quilt shops care it, but it's usually higher price.

Sew Girl 2 07-16-2022 07:27 AM

I think it's makes the fabric a little stiffer than Best Press and I don't use as much of it.

WMUTeach 07-17-2022 03:39 AM

This is a bit of a rabbit trail on our topic of spray starch but I like to iron. It began as a child. I earned money by ironing clothes for a woman with little girls. I would iron dresses, bows in the back fussy collars and woman's "shirt dresses". I got a $1 a bushel. :) The best part was I got to watch TV while I ironed. Recall listening/watching the political conventions when they were broadcast live all day and half the night. Learned so much about how government worked and made some spending money too!. Ironing anything at all, working for pay as a youngster and politics have all changed so much. Tee-Hee-Hee!!

Onebyone 07-17-2022 07:46 AM

I purchases my spray starch on line. I like the "Faithless Quilting & Crafting trigger bottle better than anything I have found. It's about $9 a bottle, but it does go a long ways and I don't think I use as much of it to get the fabric ready to quilt. Some of the quilt shops care it, but it's usually higher price.

That is what I bought by the gallon at MSQC. I have noticed no build up at all on the iron or on my ironing pad. I spray the fabric generously and press before cuttings.

SueZQ from MN 07-17-2022 07:21 PM

You can order liquid and spray starches from Walmart They also sell Best Press, but I don't know how the price compares to other places as I don't buy it.

ube quilting 07-21-2022 01:43 PM

I recently started to dip my fabric in bottled starch and love how crisp and stiff the fabric is for working. I wash/ dry my fabric to both remove chemicals, and shrinkage and see how the fabric handles. The starching process is any liquid starch diluted in a bucket to medium- hard and dip the fabric into the starch until it is soaked. Squeeze out the excess but don't twist or be too aggressive with this step. Either toss in the drier or hang on the line outside till dry. I absolutely love to work with well-starched fabric. A great bonus not having spray all over everything and clogging up the iron and less garbage for the landfill.

toverly 07-22-2022 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8509225)
I used to buy the non-aerosol Niagra starch, that stuff was awesome and smelled great. But they quit making it. :(

This was my favorite too! Love the smell. I am going to try StaFlo in a spray bottle. I just can't stand the aerosol cans.