Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I changed my roller blade (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-changed-my-roller-blade-t258481.html)

RosaSharon 12-20-2014 04:19 AM

I changed my roller blade

Don't you just love a new blade in your roller cutter? I was having a problem with mine though. It kept crunching onto my ruler. I tried so hard to avoid this, and wondered how my eyes could have gotten so much worse overnight! I decided I needed to position it at a slight angle, but even so, I continued to run into the ruler ruining it and dulling my new blade too.

Around day three of this, I finally deciding I must have a lemon for a new blade, I figured it must have a slight bend in it, because something was definitely wrong with it, as I had never had this problem of cutting into my ruler before. That crunch was getting on my nerves.

I was looking it over carefully when I thought, 'hum, I wonder if I put the blade on the wrong side of my cutter?' I took it apart and put the blade on the other side, and walla, no more crunch! I could tell immediately that my problem was me all along!

So, the moral of this story is, the blade goes on the black side, not the yellow side -- the side that says 'blade cover.' This is just par for the course for me. If there is a right way and a wrong way to do something, I always chose the wrong way first.

QuiltMom2 12-20-2014 04:55 AM

I have been a frequent member of the "Wrong Way First Club"! Glad you got that new blade in and happy quilting.

DianneK 12-20-2014 05:13 AM

hate changing the blades, always takes longer than it should!!

Grandma Bonnie 12-20-2014 06:06 AM

Good for you for figuring it out! Sounds like something I would do but it would take me longer to figure it out! (if I ever did!)

tessagin 12-20-2014 06:22 AM

Same way with needles and bobbins and thread.

Originally Posted by DianneK (Post 7014853)
hate changing the blades, always takes longer than it should!!

Boston1954 12-20-2014 07:48 AM

I use my cutter in both hands so I would never have thought of that. Glad you got it straightened out.

ManiacQuilter2 12-20-2014 09:09 AM

I always dread installing a new blade. I have before installed two blades by accident. Just installed a new blade in my 28 mm cutter and it is amazing how easily it is cutting now.

baronreads 12-20-2014 09:29 AM

My blade has been "crunching" into my ruler since we started the MQ. I just went to look at it thinking maybe I had the same problem and I think a piece is missing!! Shouldn't it have a black plastic circle on the blade side? I can't find it ANYWHERE! And I just bought this cutter a couple months ago when my original one went AWOL. Maybe this is a sign??!! UGH!

baronreads 12-20-2014 09:38 AM

OK, NOT missing a piece but I did have it put together wrong. Maybe this will help my strips be square!

miss_sonja 12-20-2014 11:36 PM

I impulse bought the pretty new Olfa splash rotary cutter at a Jo Ann's sale. Had to change the blade recently and realized it is one click!! Super easy! I am so glad I got it. Much easier than my 20 year old Olfa with the washer and nut.