Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I changed my roller blade

I changed my roller blade

Don't you just love a new blade in your roller cutter? I was having a problem with mine though. It kept crunching onto my ruler. I tried so hard to avoid this, and wondered how my eyes could have gotten so much worse overnight! I decided I needed to position it at a slight angle, but even so, I continued to run into the ruler ruining it and dulling my new blade too.

Around day three of this, I finally deciding I must have a lemon for a new blade, I figured it must have a slight bend in it, because something was definitely wrong with it, as I had never had this problem of cutting into my ruler before. That crunch was getting on my nerves.

I was looking it over carefully when I thought, 'hum, I wonder if I put the blade on the wrong side of my cutter?' I took it apart and put the blade on the other side, and walla, no more crunch! I could tell immediately that my problem was me all along!

So, the moral of this story is, the blade goes on the black side, not the yellow side -- the side that says 'blade cover.' This is just par for the course for me. If there is a right way and a wrong way to do something, I always chose the wrong way first.

I have been a frequent member of the "Wrong Way First Club"! Glad you got that new blade in and happy quilting.

hate changing the blades, always takes longer than it should!!

Good for you for figuring it out! Sounds like something I would do but it would take me longer to figure it out! (if I ever did!)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Same way with needles and bobbins and thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by DianneK View Post
    hate changing the blades, always takes longer than it should!!

I use my cutter in both hands so I would never have thought of that. Glad you got it straightened out.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I always dread installing a new blade. I have before installed two blades by accident. Just installed a new blade in my 28 mm cutter and it is amazing how easily it is cutting now.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    My blade has been "crunching" into my ruler since we started the MQ. I just went to look at it thinking maybe I had the same problem and I think a piece is missing!! Shouldn't it have a black plastic circle on the blade side? I can't find it ANYWHERE! And I just bought this cutter a couple months ago when my original one went AWOL. Maybe this is a sign??!! UGH!
    ​Julie S.

Blog Entries
    OK, NOT missing a piece but I did have it put together wrong. Maybe this will help my strips be square!
    ​Julie S.

I impulse bought the pretty new Olfa splash rotary cutter at a Jo Ann's sale. Had to change the blade recently and realized it is one click!! Super easy! I am so glad I got it. Much easier than my 20 year old Olfa with the washer and nut.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I always dread installing a new blade. I have before installed two blades by accident. Just installed a new blade in my 28 mm cutter and it is amazing how easily it is cutting now.
    I've done this too! I put two blades in my 18mm cutter which I use for cutting appliqué and other shapes and struggled for ages thinking it was a faulty blade
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Blog Entries
    Any time I have to change the blade on a cutter, I lay it down on the table, very carefully take it apart and lay each piece down as it comes off. If not, I usually manage to put it back together wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_sonja View Post
    I impulse bought the pretty new Olfa splash rotary cutter at a Jo Ann's sale. Had to change the blade recently and realized it is one click!! Super easy! I am so glad I got it. Much easier than my 20 year old Olfa with the washer and nut.
    I've been so tempted to get this but have resisted since it was the color that attracted me. Now I have a good reason to reconsider!😉

Actually, there are three ways to accomplish any simple task; The right way, the wrong way, and my way. My way always seems to end up also being the wrong way. So I know where you are coming from.